Tiger-I Build Log

802chrisg

Chris,

I know. After the Achilles build I have been itching to get some of my shelf queens done. Hope to be able to get my Dozer finished this weekend.....or at least marked.

Chris,

I know. After the Achilles build I have been itching to get some of my shelf queens done. Hope to be able to get my Dozer finished this weekend.....or at least marked.

I know that feeling! Gonna give it a try myself and see how many I can finish before the new year.

Chris, awesome work on that Tiger. She's looking meaner and meaner every time I check this Thread out.

OK, Here is the turret with all the detail finished up and ready for paint. I replaced the kit supplied spare tracks with left over fruil white metal tracks, made scratch built bottom track holders, Added PE hinges to the spare storage box, Added PE periscopes, PE commanders airial MG ring mount. Scratch built from Brass rod an new MG mount. , Replaced the main gun and MG barrels with turned Aluminum (main Gun) and two part brass (MG). New brass grab handle on the commanders hatch also.

modelpics12-21-10065.jpg

modelpics12-21-10066.jpg

modelpics12-21-10064.jpg

Edited by 802chrisg

Ok I sprayed a second base color, this time toned down with (white paint) to give the model a lighters shade. Mainly for all the raised and centers of the panels. Next came the dark brown camo strips. I didnot use the kit decals, instead I applied a set of dry transfers from Archer. The marking are for: Tiger I of 505, February 1944, Russia. Still to come; running gear & tracks, tools and gear, Dull coat, weathering.

familymodels090.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok all here she is; Finished. Hand painted all tools, cables, etc. , Weathered with pastels and pigments. Enjoy and as always comments welcome.

Chris

finishmodeltiger001.jpg

finishmodeltiger002.jpg

finishmodeltiger003.jpg

finishmodeltiger004.jpg

finishmodeltiger005.jpg

finishmodeltiger009.jpg

Edited by 802chrisg

Love the track color and your exhausts. What did you do?

After the basic camo and paint job, I hand painted the tracks Tamiya red brown. Then went over them with Model Master "rust" color. Finally I weathered with different shades of pastel chaulks. Exhausts were first hand painted with Model Master "burnt umber", then a mix of thinner and "burnt umber", finially weatered with different shades of pastel chaulks.

David,

Made an oops on my comments about the tracks. Above I was talking about the spare tracks. As far as the main tracks, I sprayed them with Model Master "rust", sealed them with a spray coat of flat dull coat. Then I weathered with the pastel chaulks. Final step is to lightly sand the tracks so the metal edges of the bottoms show as bare metal. Just like the real thing. Work great with the fruil white metal tracks. If they were the rubber or DS tracks I would paint them matalic grey.

Mark,

Thanks, glad to have this one done. Long build, but I think it came out nice.

To all that view this thread,

I hope that it gives you an understanding as to the steps involved in building a AFV. A lot of the steps are advanced, but the basic's are there. I hope that by viewing this it will help you become a better builder or just give you satifaction in viewing another build. Seeing other peoples work thru the years and how they did things was how I learned the most. I'm still learning and by no means consider myself a perfect builder. It fact I am always tring to better myself on the next build. Model on all. Enjoy!!! :smiley4:

Chris

Edited by 802chrisg