Hasegawa 1/48 Ki-61 Captured USMC Markings

TimHortman

Here is another recent build.

Hasegawa 1/48 Ki-61 built OOB.

Markings are for the Captured "Tony" used by VMF-322 on Okinawa May 1945 as their "Flying Toy".

019.jpg

018.jpg

020.jpg

016.jpg

Thanks Gil,

The kit went together very well. This is one of the "older" of the modern Hasegawa aircraft in 1/48. Most of the other lines have been re-done. The Tony dates back to the early 1990's.

The only fit problems I encountered were on the bottom of the aircraft where the wing and fulesage joined - and even that wasn't too bad.

Decals are from RISING DECALS sheet #48002 titled "Dying Sun" (OOP)

Really the only thing I used from the sheet as shown was the Marine Corps logo on the tail. I had some "issues" with the decals, and had to go to the scrap bin for the US Markings.

WHEN I do another one of these, I will be more careful!

Love it! Terrific choice of unique markings and I like how your blue has an "overspray" effect...very cool!

later,

Lee

Thanks Lee.

The camera picks it up a little more than the eye, but I was pleased with how that looks. I hate to admit it, but that was an accident!

I ended up having some decal troubles, and as a result had to sand and repaint several areas on the aircraft. As I got into it a little more, I liked the look I was getting, so I did more.

BUT I learned a few things I can't wait to "try again" for some future projects!

Really nice Tim. I've got that planned in 1/72 (almost did it instead of the Spliced Kiwi Corsair I did earlier this year). I also like how your finish came out. I'd always imagined it in a fresher paint finish, but I really like the more weathered appearance.

Mike

Thanks Guys.

Mike - I liked the look with a little more weathering, so I went a little further. Not sure how long the aircraft lasted, or what became of it.

Michael - it's a rare bird for sure. It was only recently until some photos came to light that showed the scheme.

If anyone does this scheme - beware the decals' instructions. THIS is what it is supposed to look like - red nose and tail. (the decal directions show just the red tail)

Thanks again for your kind words!

Thanks for teh tip on the red paint, Tim. :smiley2:

Later,

Lee

Here is another recent build.

Hasegawa 1/48 Ki-61 built OOB.

Markings are for the Captured "Tony" used by VMF-322 on Okinawa May 1945 as their "Flying Toy".

Model is cool. :-)

Interesting theme and object too. Rising Decals prepare it on japanese books.

From my sources - plane was called as "Yontan Tony".

Airfield in original japanese name was called Yomitan.

Thank you Pawel,

I did not have that information here.

David - they seemed to go on okay, but the only ones that are still left on the model were the USMC markings on the tail. I tried to apply the decals over a coat of future, and my Solvaset attacked the finish - had to do some sanding and start over.

**IF anyone out there has this set of decals, I would like to get a photocopy of the sheet if you are able. I'm thinking about doing one in 1/32 now, and will need to "size up" the sheet...

Thank you again for your kind words!

**IF anyone out there has this set of decals, I would like to get a photocopy of the sheet if you are able. I'm thinking about doing one in 1/32 now, and will need to "size up" the sheet...

DEcal sheet for preview and description is here : http://www.mazowsze.ow.pl/index.php?ycateg...;position=0.7.5