F-89J help

David M. Knights

OK, thanks to my LHS I have the Academy F-89J kit in 72nd scale with the ANG decals so I can do the bugger in ADC gray. 2 questions.

1. Is there photo etch or resin updates for the kit? Not sure if I'd use them, but it would be nice to know.

2. Anyone hear built this kit before? Just looking to find out where the pitfalls are.

Thanks for any help.

Airwaves makes a PE set, reasonably priced at Hannants. I've also seen the True Details F-94 resin 'pit used for the F-89. Hannants & Squadron have that one.

Have got the same Academy J-bird in the stash, but the time is not yet right for that one. Saw some critiques about the shape of the wingtip tanks...whatever.

• 1 month later...

The Detail & Scale book has quite a bit about the kit...

*Goes look it up*

Now I'm a little confused. I thought the Revell and Hobbycraft versions were both based on Korean molds... Maybe the Academy version improves on the previous issues.

The Detail & Scale book has quite a bit about the kit...

*Goes look it up*

Now I'm a little confused. I thought the Revell and Hobbycraft versions were both based on Korean molds... Maybe the Academy version improves on the previous issues.

True, both molds were made in Korea. Revell/Revell AG simply tooled up and molded a smaller version of the Revell 1/48 scale kit. The Hobbycraft kits are different molds, and the Hobbycraft and Academy kits came from the Hobbycraft molds. Both kits build up into nice Scorpions. The only criticism of the Revell kit seems to be the lack of the clear inner blast shield for the aft cockpit. Hobbycraft's kits got good reviews, too. Airwaves does an etch set for the Revell kit, no reason why it shouldn't work on the Revell kit, too--you may need to tweak some stuff here and there. The good thing about Hobbycraft's kits is that you can do the Scorpion family from the F-89A to the F-89J.

The Hobbycraft/Academy boxings stemmed from an apparent disagreement as to who really owned the tooling....and most of Hobbycraft's kits have made it into Academy boxes.

R