Kalmbach Publishing sells FineScale Modeler!

Oh well.  Let's see what happens shall we?

Seen many modelling magazines come and go.

The UK magazine Scale Models International ran for many years since the late 60's when firs published. The original Airfix magazine that came out in the very early 60's published by Patrick Stephens had a long life before its demise.

And now possibly we might lose Fine Scale Modeler too that must have been around from the early 70's.         Scale Auto, also no more after approximately 30 odd years.

You sort of get used to long running model magazines, a bit like old friends if you like until they are gone.

My earliest issue is from '83 so I've been a reader for a long time, except the period when they didn't have cars due to the separate mag. I hope they will stay around and stay in print but a lot of things are going digital. Apparently the cost of paper has skyrocketed. When "Amazing Figure Modeler" went digital they changed from quarterly to bi-annual but doubled the pages. The articles are great, there are often links to videos by the writers and the pictures are better than in the printed magazines. The downside (sides) are that you have to scroll around through the page, worry about the tablet if you're carrying it around and you can't roll up a tablet. (or swat spiders with it)

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what changes, if any, occur under the new management. Perhaps the one bright spot is that there IS a company that sees a future in publishing Fine Scale Modeler and the other Kalmbach magazines. I've subscribed pretty much continually since FSM was stated in the early '80s and plan to continue to do so, at least for the immediate future with the new publisher. Although I know there are advantages to going digital, the day they end the paper magazine is the day I quit subscribing to them.

Gil :cool:

One can understand why magazines are looking to go digital.

As an example the IPMS UK magazine costs approximately £36k sterling to publish and distribute, so no wonder the suggestion of going digital rears it ugly head regularly.

So far it has been resisted, but who knows what the future will hold?

A paper magazine is much a more tactile way of reading just like turning the pages of a good book.