Maquette 1/72 Vickers Vimy

Ron Bell

Also known as the civilian Vimy, this is the Maquette kit of this rather ungainly looking craft. It is actually the Frog Vimy kit with a few parts for the different fuselage. The Vimy kit is VERY old and the molds have obviously seen better days with much flash, mold seams, sink marks and warpage on the parts now. Just getting the lower wings to fit to the fuselage was a task and there were no locator holes in the fuselage for where anything went so there was much guesswork involved. Accordingly, it's no contest winner and I didn't bother to rig the flying wires as that would also have required installing control horns and there was enough rigging as it was. However, it's done and fits in quite nicely with my other queer beasts of the RAF. 

PXL_20230724_123854847.jpg

PXL_20230724_124005958.jpg

PXL_20230724_123910863.jpg

PXL_20230724_123854847.jpg

• Like 4

Good looking build of an ugly aircraft. 😉 What do you use for your rigging material?

Wow, that is actually a pretty build, though I have to agree with it being one ugly aircraft! I especially like how smooth your aluminum dope finish came out as well as the wood work on the props.

As for the rigging, if I know Ron, he used stretched sprue, since I've had the privilege of watching him stretch it as fine as frog's hair in the past!

Gil :cool:

Stunning job on a.....ummm....."different" 😬 looking aircraft! I'm sure rigging that beast was pure joy. WELL DONE!!!