Alclad gloss black base

FREDDIEM

Has anyone had problems with Alclad gloss black base not wanting to cure fully? Lately it seems like it won't cure, and wants to stay sticky to the touch as well as not being able to sand without packing up on the sandpaper. Not fun! Please let me know if there is anything I can do or should I just trash it and buy new?

This may not be 100% correct, but I never use Alclad base coats. Any gloss base coat will suffice. I never spend the extra money on their proprietary stuff. 

Be aware that you may have a BAD BOTTLE! Your complaint is a rather common one, and it seems that there was a time period a few years ago when Alcad put out some of its Gloss Black Primer that just doesn't dry properly, if ever. I have 2 bottles of it myself, but both of them have performed well, drying hard within 24hrs. In fact, I've even been using it to paint gloss black trim on models, and not just for primer.

I live and model in my garage here in Florida, and do have to be aware of the humidity, but I don't think that's your problem. In my opinion, you've just gotten one of the bad batch bottles.

Ron is right in that although gloss black works best for the brightest NMF over it, ANY gloss primer can be used for a smooth surface. If you need to use a substitute, I recommend getting a couple of the SMALL bottles of Testors Gloss Black (or Model Master gloss black IF you have it or can find it still), thin it with lacquer thinner, and prime with that. It should give you a smooth, glossy black primer coat and dry within 24hrs with no problems. It's also cheaper than the Alclad brand!

If you're thinking of getting more Alclad gloss black, you can give it a try. The complaints about the non-drying were first made 4-5yrs ago and have greatly lessened over the last couple of years. I know I got both of mine within the last 3yrs and they do dry properly. If your new bottle doesn't perform, then I'd contact Alclad directly to see about some sort of refund or replacement from them. Hope this helps.

Gil :cool:

Edited by ghodges

I don't use Alclad base.

I may have a different approach. I don't even use paint under my chrome or metal finishes. I use black primer and then I apply a clearcoat.

• 3 weeks later...