Vintage: Revel 1/48 P-51D No. H31 (1977)

thevid

Revell's P-51D kit #H31 is similar to Monogram's version from the same era except it does not have the removable panels.  Detail is not as crisp as Monogram's version but it is a simple kit and builds up nicely.  Here's my version built out of the box.  I dipped the spinner in red paint for the pointy end of the spinner.

Revell P-51D H31 1.jpg

Revell P-51D 1975 box.jpg

Revell P-51D  H31 4.jpg

Revell P-51D H31 5.jpg

Revell P-51D H31 2.jpg

Revell P-51D H31 3.jpg

Edited by thevid
  • Like 2

That came out pretty nicely David. What colors did you use on the exterior?

Thanks,  from my understanding the top was RAF DG and that's what I used, and I can't remember if I used Neutral Gray for the bottom.  Maybe others can offer more insight on the colors applied.

Yep! Nice looking build of Revell's less than successful attempt to compete with Monogram back in the mid 70's. Revell did do a better job engineering their windshield as a part much easier to blend in.

Two personal stories on this kit....

I built the Monogram P-51D when it was released in the 70s and painted it in this scheme, thinking surely the decals were available....BUT NO! So, I had to wait until Revell released their Mustang IN these markings so I could use them on my Monogram kit.

1153022155_MonogramP-51DManOWar.thumb.jpg.5eb35145ee061f6055b96bfda749caa7.jpg

A few years ago I built this Revell kit OOTB and unpainted for our club display case at the local library, just so viewers would see what a basic plastic kit looks like before we do all of the finishing.

38877940_009(2).thumb.JPG.7f8b05a5abfcac8de9987f92decaecf9.JPG

This is a nice, easy Mustang to build, as your great looking build shows. The trouble is trying to find one these days! Thanks for sharing!

Gil :cool:

Edited by ghodges

11 minutes ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Beautiful job on that pony! I love the nice clean look of this.

Gil, that is so cool. Brilliant idea for a model building display.

Thanks Mark.  I agree with you that Gil's display show kids what they can expect.  This really wants to make me contact the local libraries about such a display.  

On 6/26/2021 at 3:37 PM, ghodges said:

Yep! Nice looking build of Revell's less than successful attempt to compete with Monogram back in the mid 70's. Revell did do a better job engineering their windshield as a part much easier to blend in.

Two personal stories on this kit....

I built the Monogram P-51D when it was released in the 70s and painted it in this scheme, thinking surely the decals were available....BUT NO! So, I had to wait until Revell released their Mustang IN these markings so I could use them on my Monogram kit.

1153022155_MonogramP-51DManOWar.thumb.jpg.5eb35145ee061f6055b96bfda749caa7.jpg

A few years ago I built this Revell kit OOTB and unpainted for our club display case at the local library, just so viewers would see what a basic plastic kit looks like before we do all of the finishing.

38877940_009(2).thumb.JPG.7f8b05a5abfcac8de9987f92decaecf9.JPG

This is a nice, easy Mustang to build, as your great looking build shows. The trouble is trying to find one these days! Thanks for sharing!

Gil :cool:

Thank you Gil.  That Mustang's camo is quite complex.  You are right this kit has gone missing. I see it in the Miss America racing markings now and again.  It's the same kit.