Why the yellowing over time

ju52junk

Years ago I built a F6F Hellcat.  At that time I used Testor's Master Model Enamel paints and used Testor's Semi gloss Lacquer spray for the clear coat.  Over time where the white paint is the paint has yellowed.  Is the yellowing on the enamel white paint or the Lacquer clear coat?   Is the enamel paint out gassing and causing the lacquer to yellow over time?  What can I do(if anything) to remove the yellowing?  Thanks.

I had the same thing occur on a 1/72 scale B-70 vac form.  I put so much time into that model, it made me tear up when I noticed the yellowing.  I tend to think it is the Testor clear coat I used.  Maybe I applied too many coats.

5 minutes ago, Nick Filippone said:

Try parking it in sunlight. It will bleach out the yellow over several weeks. Just don't let it get too hot! This technique also works for decals that have yellowed. 

I will try exposing the model to sunlight.  Thanks for the info.

Good luck with getting the yellow out. I've heard it works for decals, but not aware of anyone trying it for a model.

Model Master/Testors lacquer gloss coat is famous for yellowing over time, and the more you apply when you build the model, the more it will yellow noticeably. Heck, if you buy an older bottle it'll already have a golden tint to it!

The problem is UV rays, which cause white and yellow enamel/lacquers to yellow.

I've switched to using Alclad Klear Kote lacquer gloss, which has a UV inhibitor in it. If you cannot find some of that near you, check your local Home Depot/Lowes/Ace hardware store for a gloss lacquer "varnish" that has a UV inhibitor. Hope this helps!

GIL :cool:

2 hours ago, ghodges said:

Good luck with getting the yellow out. I've heard it works for decals, but not aware of anyone trying it for a model.

Model Master/Testors lacquer gloss coat is famous for yellowing over time, and the more you apply when you build the model, the more it will yellow noticeably. Heck, if you buy an older bottle it'll already have a golden tint to it!

The problem is UV rays, which cause white and yellow enamel/lacquers to yellow.

I've switched to using Alclad Klear Kote lacquer gloss, which has a UV inhibitor in it. If you cannot find some of that near you, check your local Home Depot/Lowes/Ace hardware store for a gloss lacquer "varnish" that has a UV inhibitor. Hope this helps!

GIL :cool:

Thanks for the tip Gil.  I bought some "Lucky" varnish from Mig the other day.  Hopefully this varnish will not yellow over time.