Tamiya 1/48 P-51D Mustang

ghodges

Finished the first of my "small pony herd" build (in the "on the bench" topic below). This is the excellent 1/48 Tamiya P-51D kit, "chrome plated" edition. My mistake...DO NOT get the chrome plated edition! The chrome has to be scraped from EVERY gluing surface in order for any glue to work properly! Other than that, I highly recommend the Tamiya 1/48 Mustangs for a well appointed, good fitting, basic Mustang build.

008.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

011.jpg

Model was built OOTB except for some pe belts on the seat, a Falcon vac canopy and the addition of 110gal drop tanks from the spares box (instead of the provided 75gal tanks). The vac canopy was used in order to avoid having to glue the clear glass to the kit canopy frame, which always leaves an unsightly seam. Instead, the kit frame was used under the one piece vac canopy.

The NMF was done with Alclad and AK aluminum. I tried a bit of an experiment on the wings to get them to look flatter and more "painted" than the fuselage, since it was puttied and painted on the real thing. Not really happy with the result from that, but live and learn! The nose checks were painted. The unit markings are from a sheet of Skyline decals, and were some of the BEST decals I've used in recent memory.

If you haven't been following this build down below, I've been building 3 1/48 Mustangs at the same time; not worrying about "contest quality", but just getting 3 models done with some cool markings for my collection (and reducing the stash by 3!). I should be able to finish up the other two tomorrow, or by Sunday at the latest. More pics then. Comments, critiques, and questions welcome, as always!

GIL :smiley16:

Looks good, the chrome plating is a problem every car modeler knows well. Hawk did a series of chrome plated aircraft that included a P-51, P-47, T-33, OV-10A and several others. Testors used to reissue them without chrome. I still have the P-51 and Bearcat.