SEVERAL SOVIET AIRCRAFT BUILDS

papasmurf

One of my clients was bonkers for foreign Aircraft, especially Soviet "Cold War" era ones, here are several....

sovtu160_42_-446x326.jpg

Soviet TU-160 long range Bomber, 32 inches long with poseable Wings, a Russian kit.

TU22_153_-434x327.jpg

Soviet TU-22 Bomber, with Iraqui markings, an unusual request by client! A hefty 24 inches long, sorry don't have records of scales.

tu_9_-446x326.jpg

The infamous Soviet "Backfire Bomber", 26 inches long!

IL_78_-436x326.jpg

The Soviet "Ilyushin" mid-air Refueler, at 16 inches in length. :smiley14:

Nice work on some very interesting aircraft. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks aquila, the Soviet designs are unusual in comparison with ours, makes for an interesting subject! :smiley20:

Hey Papa! Nice Red Birds! The Tu-22 and Tu-26 are both 1/72 scale. I have both of these hanging from my ceiling. I have another "Blinder" that I have in the stash that I'm going to make Iraqi also. I've been wanting the "Blackjack: for ages, and one day I'll build my Tu-16 and Tu-142 as well!!

Thanks for posting. These are all gorgeous, and you've just motivated me to start on one of my Russian big bombers!

Hey Papa! Nice Red Birds! The Tu-22 and Tu-26 are both 1/72 scale. I have both of these hanging from my ceiling. I have another "Blinder" that I have in the stash that I'm going to make Iraqi also. I've been wanting the "Blackjack: for ages, and one day I'll build my Tu-16 and Tu-142 as well!!

Thanks for posting. These are all gorgeous, and you've just motivated me to start on one of my Russian big bombers!

Thank You Comrade!! And I appreciate you adding the scale information Tovarich!

2002-12-01-stalin.jpg

My pleasure Comrade! I hope to have some pics of my own soon to add to this!

Oh wait! I do have one to add. This is three views of the Tu-22 Blinder in Soviet markings:

Russian%20Tu-22%20Blinder%20I.JPG

Russian%20Tu-22%20Blinder%20II.JPG

Russian%20Tu-22%20Blinder%20III.JPG

This model is the 1/72 scale one, same as the Iraqi one you posted. I painted it with Tamiya Silver spray bomb. The different colored panels were painted first with Citadel Boltgun Metal and the Tamiya Silver sprayed over it. It was an experiment.

I hope you don't mind me posting this here on your Thread. I can remove it if you do.

It's sleek and sweet Mike! No, not at all, it's what this thread is for, for people to post their Soviet Aircrafts! The more, the merrier!

Please all, I'm a Mod here, I want you to add, and post, wherever you can make the thread more interesting, no offense will be taken, and I don't consider it "hijacking" at all!

That goes for most of the threads here, so if your in doubt just ask, I don't bite! :smiley15:

Many thanks for this great build's images, and it's addition to the topic Mike!

You got "skills" my man!! :smiley20:

Thanks Papasmurf! I'm glad you like it. I have a ton more Soviet aircraft to post, but they are all fighters. I only have one more bomber so far to post but it isn't in good enough condition to post, so I'd better get going on those other ones!

Thanks again for the compliments. If you'd like to see the fighters, let me know I'll be happy to post them.

Thanks Papasmurf! I'm glad you like it. I have a ton more Soviet aircraft to post, but they are all fighters. I only have one more bomber so far to post but it isn't in good enough condition to post, so I'd better get going on those other ones!

Thanks again for the compliments. If you'd like to see the fighters, let me know I'll be happy to post them.

Please do! The More, the merrier! :smiley20:

Very nice! Looks like a "Korean Conflict" era fighter, usually Silver metalic. Weren't we having "Dogfights in the 50's, with these versions? :smiley25:

Okay cool. Here they are:

This is my 1/72 scale MiG 21. I built it about 18 years ago:

Russian%20MiG%2021%20PF%20Fisbed%20J.jpg

My Su-24 Fencer D in 1/72 scale:

Russian%20Su%2024%20Fencer%20D.jpg

My Su-15 Flagon in 1/72 scale. This was a fast two day build:

RussianSu21FFlagon.jpg

And my most recent Soviet fighter, the MiG 31 Foxhound in 1/72 scale:

Russian%20MiG%2031%20Foxhound.JPG

I have more, but I need to take better pics of them. They were taken with a poorer camera and therefore not very clear. Hopefully soon....

Thanks again Papasmurf! Later I'll post some Soviet aircraft in Mideast markings.

Okay cool. Here they are:

This is my 1/72 scale MiG 21. I built it about 18 years ago:

Russian%20MiG%2021%20PF%20Fisbed%20J.jpg

My Su-24 Fencer D in 1/72 scale:

Russian%20Su%2024%20Fencer%20D.jpg

My Su-15 Flagon in 1/72 scale. This was a fast two day build:

RussianSu21FFlagon.jpg

And my most recent Soviet fighter, the MiG 31 Foxhound in 1/72 scale:

Russian%20MiG%2031%20Foxhound.JPG

I have more, but I need to take better pics of them. They were taken with a poorer camera and therefore not very clear. Hopefully soon....

Thanks again Papasmurf! Later I'll post some Soviet aircraft in Mideast markings.

Coolness Mark, I especially like the most recent, MIG 31 "Foxhound", the one on the bottom, NICELY DONE! :smiley20:

I'm really diggin' all of "The Red Stuff" on this thread. Gotta go dig out a few of my pix and scan them in.

BTW - I got the 1/72 SA-10 launcher and radar kits from Alanger, with one set of the better PST tires; I had ordered two sets of tires. They don't answer my queries on that. I've otherwise had great service from them. Suggestions?

CHEERS!

Von_L

Thanks Papasmurf! Glad you like them. Yeah, that Foxhound is one of my favorites.

Von_L, I have the same kits.....somewhere! I've been wanting to build them myself. If you want more of the better tires and they won't send them, see if you know anyone that can cast them in resin for you. That is what I did with one of my other kits. It also helped getting replacements for missing parts as well.

Good luck Von_L, I hope to find my kits soon so I can get these built as well.

...can cast them in resin...That is what I did with one of my other kits. It also helped getting replacements for missing parts as well.

SHAZAM - What a great opportunity to get some mileage out of that Ace Resin DIY set! Not sure I wanna know why Alanger won't send another set of those tires.

THANX for the idea!

MiG-2172nd_2.jpg

Here's an old KP MiG-21 MF in 1/72nd. It started as a Russian jet, morphed into a DDR jet and is now locked in eternal combat with Duke Cunningham's F-4J, as they hang in a barbershop. (As I build on a glacial timescale, it may be an epoch or two before the SA-10 shows.) And below is the old Revell FOXHOUND, heavily reworked a few years ago:

MiG-3172nd.jpg

MiG-2172nd_2.jpg

Here's an old KP MiG-21 MF in 1/72nd. It started as a Russian jet, morphed into a DDR jet and is now locked in eternal combat with Duke Cunningham's F-4J, as they hang in a barbershop. (As I build on a glacial timescale, it may be an epoch or two before the SA-10 shows.) And below is the old Revell FOXHOUND, heavily reworked a few years ago:

MiG-3172nd.jpg

SWEET! Very nice dude! :smiley20:

Indeed, the realism of the shots is quite good, love FX style images, very well done. I completely agree Mark, quite stunning! :smiley17:

Those are awesome Von! Man, I wish I could get good backgrounds like that for my pics!

Thanx for that, fellaz! I just keep an eye out for suitable nature posters and the occasional scenic calendar (esp Ireland, for some reason) and add it to the art stash for this use. It's a pretty cheap & effective way to go. The pix are a bit grainy as I used a Fricko pinhole lens on an old Olympus film camera -shock-horror. The pinhole lens gives a great depth of field, so it helps kinda blend in the model with the background. The only other gotchas are watching out for things like lighting angles.

In keeping with the Soviet theme, here's another one I'm kinda proud of:

MiG-2372nd.jpg

CHEERS!

Von_L

Sweet! I've always wanted to get a Libyan MiG 23 myself. Getting the kit ain't hard, it's the decals that are hard to find!

Thanks for the tip on the backgrounds. I may have to try something like that.

...Getting the kit ain't hard, it's the decals that are hard to find!

IIRC, I couldn't find decals for this, either. The markings looked simple enough, so I picked up a couple of sheets of green decal film (one lighter sheet for the topside 'faded' look), cut out the squares and circles, spun up my courage and hand-painted the funky numerals. It probably still needs some stencils. Yeah...next time.

I always thought of these jets as 'cat food.' I'm sure you remember why.

Thanx for that, fellaz! I just keep an eye out for suitable nature posters and the occasional scenic calendar (esp Ireland, for some reason) and add it to the art stash for this use. It's a pretty cheap & effective way to go. The pix are a bit grainy as I used a Fricko pinhole lens on an old Olympus film camera -shock-horror. The pinhole lens gives a great depth of field, so it helps kinda blend in the model with the background. The only other gotchas are watching out for things like lighting angles.

In keeping with the Soviet theme, here's another one I'm kinda proud of:

MiG-2372nd.jpg

CHEERS!

Von_L

Very effective Von, really does "blend" the whole image together very nicely, well done! :smiley20: