Kittyhawk Sprue and Decal Shots- 1/32 Texan

dmorrissette

Looks great!

Mark

Interesting....this one is not high on my list to buy, and I see a few things that give me pause.

First, there's the multi-part cowling, and the fact the outer wings have to be mated to the inner center section. Unless Kittyhawk has upped their game to have Tamiya engineering and fit; THOSE may cause fit issues!

It's also interesting that all of the markings seem to be post WWII, especially for the American versions. Seeing as this was the backbone of USN and USAAF pilot training in WWII, it's odd that those markings aren't offered in an initial release.

Lastly, there's a nice assortment of ordnance offered; for a trainer! Looks like they're trying to tempt the international market first (greatest sales potential?) who used the later versions armed as COIN and armed observation planes.

I see this as a popular release and build, but a bit puzzling in how it's being done!

GIL :smiley16:

• 1 month later...

Gil, you mentioned the type's being best known as a trainer in the U.S.; and you're probably right that Kittyhawk is going for an international market. Among the little wars *, the USAF flew it (and took losses) combat in Korea as a FAC, as did by the French in Algeria as a COIN aircraft. I have personally come across former Belgian T-6's in the Congo, and other places.

Also note that Kittyhawk evidently chose to do the POSTWAR canopies, with the frameless side glass. That didn't appear until wartime AT-6's and SNJ's were remanufactured after WWII to the standard USA and USN standard PRIMARY trainer. BTW, in 1955 I missed flying the "six" at Bainbridge (GA) by one class, flying brand new T-34's and then the T-28A instead; but my upperclassmen were still flying the T-6G.

* My favorite expression: "There is no such thing as a "little war", if it is YOUR butt that is getting shot at!"