Tamiya P-51D Tuskegee Airmen, any thoughts?

RGronovius

I grabbed this kit on a whim at Hobby Lobby with their infamous 40% off coupon. It is the Tuskegee Airmen version, which, I guess, is the same or similar to other P-51D Mustangs Tamiya does.

Any thoughts on this kit?

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=25147

Tamiya kits are great! Their Corsair FfU-1D and F-51D kits were gems! Of course, I am a TreadHead and know NOTHING about airplanes!

The Tamiya 1/48 P-51s (B or D) are considered the Cadillacs of quarter scale Mustangs. Very good fit, engineering, and detail OOTB, and no severe accuracy problems. It should build up with no problems for anyone with a few a/c models of any kind under their belt. Tamiya decals are about "par" or typical for kit supplied decals; usable, but aftermarket decals work better if you have them. That boxing is simply a re-issue of their P-51D (and the F-51D) with different markings so they can sell it as a more limited run issue and perhaps gain a market that might not otherwise care about the Mustang in particular. If you got it for less than $25, then you got a good deal too!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

It was a spur of the moment purchase, I believe it cost $25 and change before sales tax. A long time ago I bought many of the Accurate Miniatures Mustang/Apache series, but only built one of them, a P-51A. That was probably the last Mustang I built. I still have the rest of those kits somewhere. I was digging through my stash looking for 1/48 scale German aircraft for someone who wanted to trade for some armor kits and ran across an old Hawk chromed P-51D in my stash (no idea where that came from). It got me itching to build a newer Mustang kit. Hobby Lobby had one, I had the coupon so I figured it was fate.

You picked an excellent 1/48" P-51D kit from Tamiya Rob. You can't go wrong with that. I built the chrome plated P-51D from Hawk back in 1962, so we've certainly come a long, long, way in technology since then. There are also enough Tuskegee Airman markings available, so that should nor be an issue either. Happy Modeling,

Mark

It was a spur of the moment purchase, I believe it cost $25 and change before sales tax. A long time ago I bought many of the Accurate Miniatures Mustang/Apache series, but only built one of them, a P-51A. That was probably the last Mustang I built. I still have the rest of those kits somewhere. I was digging through my stash looking for 1/48 scale German aircraft for someone who wanted to trade for some armor kits and ran across an old Hawk chromed P-51D in my stash (no idea where that came from). It got me itching to build a newer Mustang kit. Hobby Lobby had one, I had the coupon so I figured it was fate.

Talk about coincidence! I JUST bought the AM P-51A yesterday from a friend! I built the Koster vac conversion many years ago and didn't need the AM kit when it was originally released. Since then, my original P-51A "died" in moves and I need a replacement.

You can buy any number of aftermarket decals and details for 1/48 Mustangs. Unless you're a detailing diehard, the Tamiya kits don't really need them!

GIL :smiley16: