ModelFiesta 32

Mark Aldrich

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, 1/72nd....clearly scratchbuilt...Awesome workmanship. Stunning model.

Then you missed a treat. There are some 1st rate ship modelers that are from the "draw area" for Modelfiesta. Ric Warring has won a national award or two as has Kenny Loup. Raul Guzman is famous for his sailing ships and other scratchbuilt vessels. Rick Cotton does magnificent work and is a "regular" at many of the Region Six events. There are others and I apologize for not listing them all, but "ships" is a tough bunch of categories to judge, not to mention placing in the top three.

Guest PetrolGator

Did Rick build the Akagi and Kongo? I think I saw them at the Lake Charles show. I spoke with him briefly... wish I had more time to learn some stuff.

Yes. I believe the Akagi and Kongo were both built by Rick. He just keeps getting better and better!

Now here's the question... How in the world did he pack that thing for the trip from Albuquerque to San Antonio? Beautiful model! I sure hope he can take it to Loveland this coming August.....

Now there's a story that should be told and documented with some images! Perhaps you could suggest that to him?

My models are nowhere near that size (or quality). I get by with just tossing the model in an obliging cardboard box and filling the gaps with styrofoam packing eggs.