US Navy between the World Wars

Aaronw

I got bit by the interwar bug last year when I picked up the Accurate Minis re-issue of the Monogram Boeing F4B-4 and Curtiss P-6E.

1/72 Monogram F4B-4, USS Saratoga about 1937. Used by the USN from 1933-38. Not many have survived as they were used up during WW2 as target drones.

I misread the color call outs during construction and painted the fuselage silver instead of grey. A lucky mistake in the markings by AM worked in my favor. Aircraft from the USS Saratoga didn't use a white tail until 1937, around the same time the Navy started to paint metal parts silver instead of grey. So, uh yeah, I meant to do that. :blush:

F4B41.jpg

F4B42.jpg

F4B43.jpg

F4B44.jpg

1/72 Monogram Curtiss F11C-2 Goshawk, USS Saratoga about 1933. Used by the USN from 1933-38. In 1934 the aircraft received some modifications and was redesignated BFC-2.

Goshawk6.jpg

Goshawk7.jpg

Goshawk8.jpg

Goshawk9.jpg

1/72 Special Hobby Grumman F3F-2 "flying barrel", USMC VMF-2 in 1940. Used by the USN and USMC from 1938-42. During WW2 many of these were used for utility duties and as target drones. This particular aircraft was assigned to future WW2 ace Robert Galer.

F3F25.jpg

F3F26.jpg

F3F27.jpg

Thanks, I've only recently really become interested in the period, two years ago I probably couldn't have named more than 2 or 3 aircraft. Since then I've been amazed by the huge variety of aircraft and markings offered in such a short period of time.

Great jobs Aaron. Those Monogram biplane kits are really easy to assemble for people who want to get into biplanes. The cabane struts are molded into the fuselage so that the position of the top wing is automatic. Also, Starfighter have brought out some neat resin cockpit interiors to spruce them up.

These are simply spectacular! I love the look of these. Almost makes me want to try my hand at building them myself....

Duke, read my response above. You will enjoy them. :smiley20: