1/72 ESCI Malta Matilda

Ron Bell

This is a kit that dates from the 70's but is remarkably good, rivaling the current crop of Trumpeter and Dragon kits. I've done this scheme in 1/35th and 1/48th but needed one for my Braille Scale collection. The kit comes with no interior, which is odd as their Valentine of the same era had a driver's position, turret basket and basic interior detail. The driver's visor can be posed open or closed, but if open there's nothing there, not even a driver figure. Ditto for the loader's hatch. At least you get a commander figure to fill an open cupola. I built a box inside the driver's position and painted it black to hide the fact that there's nothing in there except the driver figure that I adapted from the spares' box. The loader is from the ESCI 25 pdr. kit with modifications to get him to sit right on the turret top. I added the wall segment to illustrate why the vehicles were painted this way. It's actually a section of a Matchbox kit's diorama base. I make no claim to fame in painting small scale figures. I just can't get the hang of it. But to be fair, the detail on figures from this era wasn't exactly "crisp". 

PXL_20240304_190028098.jpg

PXL_20240304_190044474.jpg

PXL_20240304_190058586.jpg

PXL_20240304_190113700.jpg

• Like 2

I used to build the old 1/72 Esci armor kits for tabletop wargaming during the early to mid-1970s but never purchased that kit.

Used to admire the detail molded into the models and you have done a fine job on it.

My first thought upon seeing the pattern was of a British post war Berlin Chieftain Mk 10 without the color painted inside the pattern.

Out of curiosity, did you use ordinary play sand or aquarium sand?

Actually neither. It's Woodland Scenics tan Fine Ballast. I wanted more of a 'gravely' texture than sand would provide. 

• Like 1

Hard to decide which camo scheme looks better on a Matilda... this one or the Caunter scheme. Bravo to you for the excellent paint job that you pulled off here. 👍🏼👍🏼 🫡