ICM 1/48 Spitfire HF. VII

Stikpusher

So I started this kit back in November 2011 for a Spitfire GB on FSM. Needless to say it did not get finished in a timely manner, and was resumed and sidelined multiple times over the years. A few months ago I decided to knuckle down on this, and this past week I was finally able to get it over the finish line finally yesterday. This is ICM's 1/48 kit, and there are parts in there to make many different variants of the late Merlin Spitfires. The kit includes a nice engine on its mounts, but that is also the kit's weakness, as the cowling cannot be built around the engine. I was able to get the bottom and side panels on, but not the top... This boxing also included a set of ground crew and standing pilot figures, along with a few accessory items. I added an Eduard PE seat harness, and replaced the kit decals with a set from Aeromaster. Paint used were Humbrol Enamel (underside) & Acrylic (topside) for the main colors. 
IMG_9211.jpg

IMG_9212.jpg

IMG_9213.jpg

IMG_9217.jpg

IMG_9218.jpg

IMG_9219.jpg

IMG_9223.jpg

IMG_9221.jpg

IMG_9222.jpg

IMG_9226.jpg

IMG_9224.jpg

All in all this was a nice kit, and I do look forward to doing another with the engine fully exposed, and adding some plumbing to really dress it up nicely!
Thanks for looking, comments & critiques are welcomed.

• Like 1

Very cool looking Spitfire. 13 years, I’m impressed you never let it go. Can you tell me what color that is for the underside?  I don’t think I have seen that before. 

Superb Spitfire! I think the extended wing tips give it a bit more elegance than the regular winged versions. I also like your diorama display as it makes it appear the top cowl was left off by choice, and not by any kit deficiency. Thanks for sharing!

Gil :cool:

Thanks for looking in and your kind feedback guys!

Jean, I don't recall coming across any Mk. VII builds before. They are always overshadowed by the more numerous WWII variants... Mk.I, V, VIII, IX, XIV, etc... 

Stuart, I have about two dozen old shelf queens left to complete. I try to knock out a few every year, and have knocked it down from over three dozen of five years ago... The bottom color is PRU Blue, using Humbrol 144 for that shade.

Gil, I agree about the extended wing tips. As far as the diorama display goes, I had to figure something out to deal with the fact you can't close up the cowling completely around the engine.   

• Like 1