First time assembling 1/16 resin figures

StuartMont

Good morning. As noted in the title this is my first attempt to assemble and paint a 1/16 scale resin figure. I have spent one hour looking for a video on how to remove those big blocks of resin on the upper body and the lower body surfaces to be joined. Do you simply sand them off? Would someone be kind enough to point me to a video on how this is done?  These figures come with no instructions.

IMG_1209.thumb.jpeg.90ac2f0ef7a34dd204bd1459f6361760.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Welcome to the wonderful world of resin figures! 😁

Those blocks are called pour plugs from when the mold gets filled with the liquid resin.

Most times you can simply use a model saw to cut it off. Some even use a dremel with a flat cutting blade.  However you choose to cut it, I would recommend to go at it from a few different directions to make sure your final result is flat. This will save you a lot of time filling and sanding.

image.png.3688d8dd5821e323692b116318065eb8.png

I would be remiss is I didn't mention to protect yourself from the dust. It's been reported to be nasty stuff especially if it turns out you're allergic. Wear a mask or have some sort of shop vac nozzle set up to suck up the dust. If you have neither, keep the model part to be cut wet. That will help keep the dust from flying around.   HTH  And let's see you figure when you get finished.

For large pour plugs on flat parts I have used a Dremel belt sander. You need to go slow and check your work often, but it sure does make short work of it. I get it down to where I can hand sand the remainder so I don't go too far with the power tool. 

Kevin and Ron - thanks for responding.  I ended up in the Tools, Tips & Techniques forum and have posted updates there.  It has been a learning experience for sure.  I have used a model saw and handheld Dremel as well as wet sanding with sandpaper.  Getting everything to a tight fit is difficult.  The first figure is completely assembled and here are some photos.  I am in the process of assembling the USAAF WWII Pilot now.  Painting is hard and I posted in the other forum this morning.

IMG_1219.thumb.jpeg.5e7f72a99def07a0b7a60ee9c7e34538.jpegIMG_1283.thumb.jpeg.4d7e603d8a8b543b1495ce5e49e0442c.jpegIMG_1220.thumb.jpeg.a860212ef7b1ff37e416f55f8403e2e1.jpegIMG_1284.thumb.jpeg.12ec1b9e52735e76ec970c83c2faa012.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I still have some painting work to do.  Any comments/criticisms would be very welcomed. The color of the RAF pilot’s eyes need to be fixed and the USAAF pilot’s sunglasses didn’t turn out well I don’t think. No shading or highlighting yet. The color of the American pilot’s jacket is leather brown but it needs a glossy clear coat, correct?  Please have at it, especially colors if you see something. 

IMG_1372.thumb.jpeg.b8b1a5a96a60503e18c1c7086b1347b6.jpeg

Edited by StuartMont
Corrections

Your paint work is excellent. As to the gloss coat for the bomber jacket, maybe a semi-gloss would be better. Those jackets got plenty beat up. Also, is it me or do the arms on the RAF pilot look out of proportion (too large) to the rest of the figure? 

Thanks very much for your kind words!  So I’ll use semi-gloss clear. And . . . now that you say it, looking at the two side-by-side it sure looks like the RAF arms and hands look too big.  I hope it’s a photo perspective thing, I’ll look.  Otherwise the manufacturer screwed up I guess.

Well Ron, you have pointed out a significant difference. The RAF hand shading his eyes is 15 mm long which is 240 mm full size. That’s 9.5” from base of palm to tip of middle finger. The overall figure height works out to 6’-3” tall, which is my height and the similar measurement of my hand is 8”. Most of all his hand is almost twice the “volume” of the hand on the other figure.  Similar math on the arm is actually pretty close, only off, compared to mine, by the same 1.5”. I think both of the hands on the RAF guy are way too big. I’m just going to assume that the flight jacket is much bulkier than the leather jacket on the other guy. In the photo the US guy’s shoulder is slightly above that of the RAF guy. They both measure exactly 120 mm tall.

I was so focused on gluing these things and painting that my brain never saw this until you responded and I took another look at the photo of the two of them together.  Maybe I’ll stage the USAAF guy in front of the plane and keep the RAF guy behind it 😀

Thanks again for responding.