JAMES CORLEY HAS PASSED

It's with a very heavy heart I announce that James Corley passed away on Monday afternoon in Pensacola. He suffered a severe stroke last Sunday and didn't recover. His wife Debbie is requesting some privacy at this time, no flowers be sent, and will announce when a memorial service may be held in that area.

For those of you who didn't have the privilege of personally knowing James, he was a very long time, very active IPMSUSA member. He served on past Eboards as Secretary, was RC-3 for many years, as well as helping run his local chapters. He was a long time Atlanta GA resident and in those years ran a very popular hobby shop and also was one of the principles who helped host the famed 2005 Nats there. 

I know I'm going to miss his grin, as well as his posts here.

Gil 

Edited by ghodges
  • Sad 2

• ghodges changed the title to JAMES CORLEY HAS PASSED

Very sad news indeed.  His craftsmanship and attention to details on the Nautilus Models conversion and correction kits were superb.  I worked with James by providing research material on some of his submarine resin conversion kits for the Revell Lionfish and Trumpeter Gato kits.   A very good time, and a fond memory.

Edited by TomDougherty
  • Like 1

This is very sad news, indeed. I discussed modeling and IPMS related issues with him on many occasions. I think we all could agree he held and expressed his opinions with the vigor and passion of someone who really cared about this hobby and this organization. He was always honest and forthcoming. He was always friendly to me. I will also miss his contributions to discussions on this Forum. Respectfully, Nick

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear about James.   I met him through Jon Warneke and occasionally went to his store when my daughter was in college in Atlanta.  James asked some thoughtful questions which helped inform some of my judging decisions.  

A memory of James.   He grew up in Oklahoma and was partial to Braums Ice Cream.    Last year, the day before the convention, he called me in a panic.   Had I left home to drive to San Marcos?  He had planned on picking up some of the Braums special cookies, but he had not found a store in his travels through South and Central Texas.   Braums only extends a bit south of Ft Worth.   Could I please pick him up one pack each of their cookies?   I bought him four dozen and he was most appreciative.   He giggled everytime I saw him that weekend.

• Like 3

I was reading the new issue of he Hook (the Tailhook Association's magazine) and ran across this:

IMG_6887.thumb.jpg.8cadb7bd0112d9d015814beb421855ac.jpg

James and I have each won this "ID the airplane" contest before. The prize is a mug and a year's free membership to the association. How Ironic is it that James took "his final cut" right after winning?