Still trying to figure out the right color for '65 Shelby Cobra

Eric

Trying to figure out if the blue on Cobras was metallic paint or just a straight paint.  Tried photo searches but to many photos are either restored or kit cars.  Even doing searches for period race photos doesn't help.  Not sure which way to go.

Eric

Hey Peter...I order'd this paint for my cobra from Hobby world usa. It's a ZERO paint and looks right to me. This is on back order so I have not got a chance to see or use it yet. her's a link to that page.....  https://hobbyworld-usa.com/index.php?id_category=1818&controller=category&page=4  

Scroll 1/2 way down the page. Hope this helps you a little...

Gary

Edited by GaryDavis

The big question I'm having is the paint in 1965 metallic or just solid blue.  Can't find any period color photos.  When I do a google search alot of cobras come up but most are current photos so no idea if the cars have been repainted or not.

Eric

Some sage advice given me many years ago, “When the pigment hits the plastic, it’s right!”.  

Or follow the four A’s principle:  Applicability, Accessibility, Affordability, and Accuracy. The sequence you choose is up to you

https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/your-handy-1965-67-shelby-427-cobra-buyers-guide/#:~:text=Colors for the 427 Cobra,and unpainted (4 percent).

These are I.C.I. paint codes. The Rosso Chiaro formula is in the PPG Nexa system, which is how I got it for my car. They formulated it as a two-stage. I remember asking about some other codes but they couldn't find them in the system; not sure which ones, although one was probably Ruby Red.

AC1 Guardsman Blue 4424m Single stage urethane, c262b Base/Clear
AC2 Dark Blue fg47 single stage
AC3 Mist Silver 6182m single stage
AC4 Ruby Red 6192m single stage
AC5 Canary Yellow fg38
AC6 Lt. Green 5302m single stage, 5vf9b Base/Clear
AC8 Rosso Chiaro fg39 single stage
AC9 Pure White fg46 single stage
AC11 Mushroom 6189m single stage
AC12 Vineyard Green ej29 single stage
AC13 Live Oak 6188m single stage
AC14 Sand 6190m single stage