Hello from Minnesota.

ctruss53

Hi everyone.

I joined IPMS for the nationals in Nebraska in 2022. I don't know why it just now dawned on me nearly a year later to join the forums. But here I am.

I build cars mainly. I have tried to dabble in WWI biplanes a bit, but they don't quite hold my attention, and I have yet to finish one.  haha  I like looking at them though.

For car builds, I really enjoy building rally cars and touring cars. I also like to build lowriders, classic cars and pickups that are pre-muscle car era, or maybe post war is a better term. Ah, 40's and 50's subjects, how about that.

I almost always build my kits stock but with added details. I don't really modify the parts, except to add detail. But in 2023 my goal has been to work on my custom building skills. So my builds this year have at least a little custom building, and/or 3D printed parts in them. I hope to have a few of these ready for the Nationals next month.

And yes, I am driving down to Texas for the Nationals this year. I compete against the same people and see the same vendors at all the shows I go to. It is time to drive out of my region and meet some new people. See new builds. And hopefully run into some new vendors as well.

Hi.

Welcome Chad! Glad to have you here with us! You sound like most builders, no matter their genre, looking to add some critical details and improve from build to build. I also like the way you've mapped out your plans for the Nats. Seems like you have solid, concrete ideas on how to have some fun! Let us know how we can make your modeling more fun when you're here on the forums.

Gil :cool:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My current improvement project is paint.

I am experimenting with custom lowrider paints and it is not going well. These paints are eating anything I spray them over or peeling right off the few things I have found that withstand them because they don't bond to it.

I am about to throw in the towel.  haha

I'd take this question to the car topics part of the forum here where there may be some people with experience with those paint types who might be able to help. It does sound strange that a paint with enough bite to "eat" a surface won't stick to it!

Gil :cool:

This all boils down to the chemistry of the paint and plastic of the subject with the variable of mold release residue thrown in for good measure. Gil's suggestion is best. If they are used for car models, post on a car specific web site for a chance at best results. 

Edited by Ron Bell