The History of FROG Models and Other Off Chutes

RCTHEFOX

As a long time modeler ,I turned 76 this November, I was surprised when one of the comments by a younger modeler in the Forum was he had never heard of FROG as a modelling company. Having built a number of FROG kits in the past I liked their selection of kits (LOVED their Sea Fury). When they went out of business I was pleased that many of their old kits were produced in Russia under the NOVO label. I purchased some of these as well. 

In the October 2022 issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling is short history of FROG and how it evolved into NOVO, Red Star, Air Lines, and Novoexport. Although never as popular as Airfix kits FROG produced many unique kits of good quality. I think long time modelers and younger modelers would enjoy this article.

That Frog Sea Fury was a favorite of mine also, and one of their best. I also loved the Fokker D-21. Their subject selection was adventurous and I much preferred their restrained raised panel lines to Airfix’s riot of rivets. But I still loved Airfix, too! Nick

• Like 1

That is so cool. I also built some FROG kits, but only long after I grew up. My small town only got Revell, Monogram, Airfix, and Aurora kits only in all the retail shops.

Thank you for that information.