1/48 Airfix P-40B

ghodges

That’s quite colorful for a pre war OD P-40. And it came out looking very nice! Well done sir! 👍🏼

• 5 weeks later...

Great looking build, Gil!  I really like the decals and weathering.  That leads me to ask, what did you weather the underside of the plane with...specifically what did you use to make the panel lines pop?  A wash?  I would really like to know as I might be building some aircraft later on this year.  

I used an old fashioned brownish "slush wash". I mixed some Warpigs Burnt Umber weathering powder with some water and 2-3 drops of liquid dish washing detergent in a 2-liter bottle cap; stirring it til all of the powder was dissolved. I like this sort of wash because you can custom mix it  to make it thicker (more opaque), or thinner (less noticeable); and because it's very safe. It will not "bite" into any surface and the excess wipes off easily. The down side is it can be TOO easy to wipe off and you remove too much. But, then you simply apply more, repeating the process til you get the result you want. You can also speed the drying time by using a hair dryer on low-blow/low-heat without the worry of "setting" it into the surface. You can make a sludge wash using almost any ground powder; pastel chalks being the easiest source; or using any of the Mig, AMMO, or Warpigs weathering powders.

Gil :cool: