ANONYMOUS ISN'T

Dakimbrell

Could it be that the OP just wants to know who built that model he admires so he can contact the builder?  Good chance he wants to know how a certain technique or effect was done so he can improve his model.

I have no problem with the names being turned under, but there are times I would like to know who built that model, so I can contact him if possible.

No arrows here.  Just my perspective.

While many speak of hiding the names as a way to ensure objectivity, there is no data to support the concept. It is just an unnecessary custom we have carried over for the past four decades. There are numerous groups which show the builder's name and have no problem. I'm still trying to figure out...if the judging is inherently honest....why showing the entrant's name would prejudice at least three judges and those supervising them.

If a model has been published in the Journal or other magazine, wouldn't that prejudice some people, also? "It's been published, so it must be good, right?" At one seminar in Chattanooga I saw at least one model which was in the competition. Might that not prejudice some people?

Dak

This feckless conversation has not been worth commenting on again until, once more, the integrity of the judging corps is irresponsibly, recklessly and erroneously  impugned! The pros and cons of show/no show can continue to be debated ad nauseum, but it has nothing to do with the honesty of our judges. To even suggest otherwise, however obliquely, safely ensconced behind one’s keyboard, reveals a lamentable dearth of intestinal fortitude even as it does this Society a great disservice in that it undermines the confidence of our members and entrants in the fairness of our contests. 

Those of you who want to call we judges dishonest should screw up whatever modicum of courage you have- if any - and do it to our faces!

Nick Filippone, Senior National Judge

16 minutes ago, Nick Filippone said:

Those of you who want to call we judges dishonest should screw up whatever modicum of courage you have- if any - and do it to our faces!

Actually, I was obliquely trying to say was that those who support hiding names don't trust the judges to be honest. As for me, I think the judges are honest and the system works well enough that childishly hiding the name is pointless. I don't believe the hundreds of National judges are in the least prejudiced by articles, web posts, or names in plain sight and at no time did I say they were dishonest, except in your imagination.

Nick, you refer to this conversation as feckless. How so? I am politely questioning an unnecessary and outmoded tradition. While it may be a somewhat trivial subject, it relates to time being wasted at the National contest for no good reason. The tradition has no basis in solid fact and no one has produced any proof to support it, while the opposite is true. If you think about it, it actually hiding the names is a bit of an insult to the integrity of those judging.

I say names should be visible because IPMS judges are scrupulously honest and do not need or want to be treated like children.

Dak, National Judge