Question about Ejection Seats in F-5Es

TGarthConnelly

I used to work the F-5Es at Nellis back in 79-81 and they were Northrop designed seats. You had two versions, the standard and improved. The improved had a plastic cowl up and around the head rest and top of the seat. The same seat is also used in T-38s.

I hope this helps.

Tim

Not really, the Martin Baker in the F4 was a lot heavier in construction and layout. Here is a scan from Bert Kinsey's F-5E & F in detail & scale #5. As you can see, it looks a lot different than other ejection seats.

F5 seat.jpg

Primary difference between the T-38/F-5 seat and the MB in the F-4 was that the parachute was part of the MB seat.  You had to lug the parachute with you to the T-38/F-5.  You put it on before you mounted the cockpit and it served as parachute/back cushion.  I remember hauling them around in pilot training.  I was much younger and fitter then! 😉  In the F-4 you just wore a harness and hooked it up to the seat after you got in. 

Not sure what scale you're wanting those in, but Wolfpack makes some 1/72 resin seats for the F-5E/F models.  Their products so far have been extremely high quality.  I bought one of their F-8 J-57 exhausts for a 1/48 F-102A.  It looks fantastic, is seamless, and fit right into my F-102A with minimal modification.  I'm thinking their seats are probably also going to be made to the same high standards.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/wpd72082.htm

Edited by Eaglecash867

Also, didn't Squadron with their True Details line come out with a resin seat as well?