She's real fine my 409 (64 Chevy Impala)

Let me start this out by saying I do not build car models. I think the last car I made was in 1974. But here I am posting this.

The Hobby Town near me had a model contest on June 18. The owner had a few cases of damaged AMT Chevy "Super Shaker" Impala 409's (108 kits to be exact). The boxes were bent or a little crushed but were in good shape inside the box. He would not put them on the shelves due to the fact of their appearance. I got a call from him asking if our club would be interested in a couple of these kits at a discount. I went over and talked to him and he decided to think about having a same type model contest. The kit had to be built strictly out of the box, no additions of any kind. There were a couple of options in the kit so you could at least change it up some. He opened the contest to us at the club, to which I contacted some of the other nearby clubs to see if they would be interested in joining in. It was opened up to any customer also. All you had to do was buy the kit for $10.00 and bring it back by/on June 18. There were prizes for the top three autos. Judging was by popular vote by the stores employees. There were 75 kits sold and only 11 cars were there for the contest.

Since my club helped figure out a few things for the contest I decided to get one of the kits also and try my hand at building a car model again. I spent $10.00 on the kit, $2.00 for a damaged rattle can of spray paint and then $3.95 for a bottle of touch up just in case (yes I needed it). Under $20.00 all day for a model can't be beat.

So here it is, warts and all. Not out over my skis but a little out of my comfort zone. It was still a fun build plus I learned a few new things.

Comments welcome.

Chevy%20409%20001_zpskjuglddb.jpg

Chevy%20409%20011_zps5rvjgdda.jpg

I used bare metal foil for the chrome trim. I painted the Chevy bowtie logos on the trunk and hood with clear red, blue and amber. The paint is Plum pearl by Testors with Tamiya white Primer for the interior.

Chevy%20409%20009_zpsudjiiu8i.jpg

Chevy%20409%20008_zpskn0hbpmo.jpg

The purple was polished with Meguiare's plastic polish to a nice shine while getting rid of most of the orange peel.

Chevy%20409%20016_zps30lwehlc.jpgChevy%20409%20012_zpshxlct4wa.jpg

A black wash in the grill area wiped off with q-tips.

Chevy%20409%20007_zpstv4be9h2.jpg

I painted the steering wheel and the top of the center console a wood color to make it a little more interesting inside.

Chevy%20409%20010_zpsxtyns95q.jpg

Again thanks for looking.

I think the Beach Boys would be OK with this one.

Bill

• Like 1

That came out really good Bill. It sure hits the mark of the cars that cruised on Friday nights when I was in high school. Man...the chicks would be "ALL OVER" you and that car at the Pine street parking lot. :D Great job.

Edited by GaryDavis

Thanks Gary. Much appreciated. It was kind of fun just to watch myself be immersed in getting this looking right.

BTW... It brought home a third place.

Bill

For somebody who doesn't build auto models you sure showed 'em how it's done Bill. Congratulations on the 3rd Place take home brother.

Thanks guys, it was so much fun maybe another car is in the cards :D. NOPE, Ha Ha, I crack myself up!

I think I'll just stick with the planes and ships.

Thanks for the kind words again.

Bill

What follows here is all Wild Bill's fault. As a fellow club member, he roped me into the HobbyTown same-model contest. I bought two of the damaged kit boxes with the plan to build a showroom stock car and a street rod for the contest. AMT has reissued the 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS kit several times, but this time all of the gates on the sprues were opened to reveal all the parts for various versions. I found a part I had never before seen: a boot cover for a folded down convertible top. I decided to build a convertible as my showroom stock entry. Five cuts with a razor saw and the hardtop roof was off. The street rod was going to receive the custom styling pieces and a big blower on the top pf the engine along with the included side exhaust pipes.

CONFESSION: My first paint job on the convertible was a disaster. I tried to use an old (ancient) square bottle of Pactra Royal Blue in my airbrush. The painted surface was royal blue all right, but it had the feel of 120-grit sandpaper. I tried sanding and polishing, but I would still be working on that today. I went back to HobbyTown and bought a 3rd kit so I could start over on the convertible body. This time I painted it with Tamiya Fine White Surface Primer from the can. I applied the bare metal foil trim, painted the emblems, and shot it again with Testors Clear High-Gloss Enamel from the can. My original white interior became a blue-tone interior with foil trim and painted details. I used the completed chassis and wheels from the first kit.

On the Tuesday before the Saturday of the contest, I realized I had to choose one of the two kits to finish. There was no way I could finish both in time. I chose the convertible. Here it is, one of the other ten models entered in the contest.

DSC03419_zpslxbifkow.jpg

DSC03415_zpsjundxww0.jpg

DSC03416_zpslk2bpfbq.jpg

DSC03417_zpsccfcfwhi.jpg

DSC03418_zpsjsncufat.jpg

You two are getting my juices flowing to do one of these. Infact....I have two of the 64s but didn't have that Super Shaker kit. Soooo...thank you bill...I went out and got one. LOL Now...I have to build it. Some day of course....

Hey Ed...your 64 really looks clean and ready to hit the Cruise line....

Edited by GaryDavis

Ed's got first place in the contest and well deserved. He did the little things right. He also builds cars semi regularly.

Great job Ed.

Bill

You should consider going all out on an automotive build. I can guarantee you that I'll have a front row seat.