My Ace aircraft...

Although it's not a focus in my building, I do have a few...

lwf0001.jpg

Revell 1/32 Bubbletop...honestly don't know who the ace is though! Just liked the markings!

100_0600.jpg

Lt Ken Walsh's Medal of Honor flight birdcage Corsair. This was actually a "spare" that he picked up after landing at a field with engine problems in the plane he took off in. This is a conversion in 1/48 I did many years ago with the Otaki F4U-1A and the War Eagle vac birdcage fuselage.

100_0571.jpg

Saburo Sakai's A5M Claude from China (before he made ace in WWII). This is the old Eagles Talon vac kit in 1/48.

100_1289.jpg

One of my favorite Mustang "ace" markings, "American Beauty", Tamiya 1/48 kit

100_2634.jpg

Bud Anderson's (P-51 WWII ace) P-39Q in the SW Pacific, prior to his assignment to the ETO and Mustangs, Eduard 1/48 kit

100_2812.jpg

Col. Tomb's (Vietnamese ace) Mig-17, shot down by USN ace Randy Cunningham. War Eagle 1/48 vac kit

100_3487.jpg

Robert L. Scott's (WWII Flying Tiger ace) F-84E in the mid 50's when he was a wing commander; Revell 1/48 kit

100_3663.jpg

Dr. Eric Mix's (WWI ace) Bf-109E in early WWII, Hasagawa 1/48 kit with home made markings

100_4062.jpg

Not entirely sure if this pilot was an ace, but this plane was part of a famous "ace flight" of Triplanes, 1/48ish Aurora kit

026-1.jpg

R. Little's Flying Tiger P-40B; 1/48 Monogram kit tricked out

012-2.jpg

Marsaille's Bf-109F-4trop, 1/48 Hasagawa kit with War Eagle trop conversion parts and decals

There's a few more on the shelf, but I'll have to take pics, or scan in old photos of those later! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Well done Gil! Great collection!. Best,

Mark

• 1 month later...

Amazing they look so real how do youlike know when you have added enough chipping and not to much and also how do you kepp your enamel paint from being pulled off with a wash

Z: You stop chipping when you like the look ya got.

The rule for washes is: OPPOSITES! If you paint the model with enamels, or have an enamel/lacquer clear coat, you wash with an acrylic. If you paint with acrylics or use an acrylic clear coat (like Future), you use an enamel or oil wash. That way, they don't react with each other.

GIL :smiley16:

GIL. i normally use acrylics but thought about trying enamels because i have a problem with acrylic paint not sticking to the models surface i tried hand painting a figure with enamels and then put a acrylic clear coat waited 48 hours and put a wash on and some of the enamel still got pulled off with it.