Royal Navy F-4K FINISHED!!!

WildBill50

Steve, it was for take-offs. The British had smaller decks for their carriers, so the angle of attack on the wing of the plane needed to be adjusted so that it could get off the deck and still fly after launch. Brute strength from the engines and alot of stuff going on with the wings (slats, flaps and such) allowed for transition to flight after the cat shot.

Bill

nicely done! Bill is correct back in the day (for me1976-1980) the term we used in regard to changing the AOA with the nose strut was called 'Catapult extend'. Just prior to launch the crew would flip a toggle and the strut would inflate to its fullest length, the British struts were doubled that of its US Navy's cousin (that's why you see two drag links).

Edited by GregWise

Thanks for the comments Greg. And thanks for the info on how the strut was extended.

I always thought the British K's looked so cool with that double extension.

Bill

Nice model, sir!

I too remember those long NLG struts. Certainly gives the RN Phantom a unique character; along with those oversized Spey engines, with so much extra mojo they had to expand the fuselage and add the cooling doors.