Tamiya A6M2 Zero Fighter WIP

WigWagWorkshop

Good Day Folks!

Starting another new adventure in model building, this is my first airplane build. It's a Tamiya's Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero Fighter, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

7769034966_628df9027b.jpg

-Steven

You've picked a great one for your first airplane build. Just follow the instructions, test fit everything, and you should have few problems. The scheme is also simple, so painting shouldn't be a problem. If you usually don't like kit decals, you might want to look into an aftermarket sheet, as Tamiya decals are ok, but not great. Also, if you are looking to update the model with resin or pe; there are cockpits, tires, and such available for the Zero. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

GIL :smiley16:

I have also built this kit and would concour that you just follow the directions as it is a fantastic kit. You can go crazy with details (like I did) with the floatation device in back of the cockpit, etc - which no one will ever see. Check out the j-aircraft website for lots of facts and details.

Most of all just have fun and enjoy a great kit!

Good Day Folks!

I assembled the cockpit, however, not without a few flaws. Has with my first Armour build, this thus far, has been a blast, and fun learning experience, both with the build, and the research about the aircraft.

7777849712_5f66de75cb.jpg

-Steven

Good Day Folks!

Just a minor update, I plan on working on the wings tonight, and get the seams sorted out.

7797899872_b9f903e7a0.jpg

7797902564_5539e03dc3.jpg

-Steven

Good Day Folks!

Made a little more progress, I still don't have my airbrush setup yet, so I had to brush the paint on. I am hoping I will be able to buff out the brush marks, and the weathering will cover up the imperfections. I lost a couple of the small detail pieces, so I will have to make them. Saying that, why is it I can find those little sprue nubs on the floor, but not the little detail pieces. :-)

7833845880_a9644b8aa4.jpg

7833843250_335240374c.jpg

-Steven

Steven: you might try brushing on a coat or two of Future. Not only will it gloss it as preparation for decaling, but it should also help even out the look of the paint. I seem to recall this method being used by brush painters as far back as the 70s. Looking good!

Looking good! It looks like you painted the cowling and then sanded some of it off. If so, why? GIL :smiley16:

That's what happened, I am experimanting with some weathering technequies :D I will be honest, it all happened by mistake, when I was trying eliminate brush strokes.

Steven: you might try brushing on a coat or two of Future. Not only will it gloss it as preparation for decaling, but it should also help even out the look of the paint. I seem to recall this method being used by brush painters as far back as the 70s. Looking good!

Awesome, that's what I did, and it worked! For the most part, they are gone, but with decals, and weathering and washes, I am hoping it comes out. Either way, having a blast with my first aircraft build.

-Steven