1/32 Bell X-1 - 6063 - Herb Hoover - 1st Civilian to break the sound barrier

stevee671

On March 10th, 1948, Herb Hoover (not Lt. Robert Hoover), flying the Bell X-1-2, S/N 46-063, broke the sound barrier. (Fair Use)

E49-009.jpg

The beginning...

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

Wired the instrument panel

IMG_0841.jpg

Painted the rocket motor

IMG_0843.jpg

Painted the cockpit, side console, side walls and motor area

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

Instrument panel

IMG_0846.jpg

Yoke done.

IMG_0847.jpg

Pilot in Seat - Dry Fit - Still have to shade the pilot

IMG_0848.jpg

Edited by stevee671

Nice start, and that instrument panel is KILLER! How exactly did you add the white detailing?

GIL :smiley16:

With this...

IMG_0849.jpg

Added one of the most common item left off of models depicting X-1-2. The two inlet scoops on the aft fuselage.

The real aircraft:

tail.jpg

The model:

IMG_0857.jpg

The inlet scoops were extras in a Panda 1/35 UH-1N kit. (UH-1N don't have these scoops). They fit the bill perfectly!

I guess this model was never intended to have it's gear retracted! In this case, the doors were too small. Added styrene to fill the gaps.

IMG_0853.jpg

Wings on!

IMG_0858.jpg

Is that Acryl Blue automotive putty I spy on the wings and tail planes? Looking good!

Yep! It's the best!!

Acryl Blue is actually an automotive filler putty. It comes in a big 1lb tube, and you can usually find it at NAPA, or almost any other car parts store. Just apply it in thin layers (as seen above) and it works very well. It sands easily and feathers out nicely.It can also be thinned with Testors liquid cement (like Squadron green stuff), if you need a "runnier" version. As long as you're careful not to leave the tube uncapped, it'll last you for YEARS!

After a lot of hours of polishing, here is the end result...

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

Now, can somebody send me a hi-res scan of the Cutting Edge decal instruction sheet??

• 3 weeks later...

Here she is all finished:

I'll post more pics later as I take them.

The data is from the Ed Bisconti "X-1 Data" decal sheet in 1/32 scale. Excellent decals.

be64c08c.jpg

Hi, Steve,

This is a beautiful build. Having it in 1/32 is a bonus. I had to settle for 1/72 when I built the X-1E version of this same 6063 test aircraft (that's all covered in another thread). Those little added scoops are really tiny in that scale. Thanks for sharing.

Ed