F-8 Mig Killer Decal Question

David M. Knights

Does anyone know if any of the manufacturers do a set of 72nd scale markings for the F-8E aircraft of Lt Cdr Guy Cane of VF-53 when he got his MiG kill? If so, I'd appreciate knowing who makes them, etc.

David,

Forget MiG killers...I have some nice French F-8 options. :)

Jim

Yep, but who wants to model an F-8 that has surrendered! I've already posted my blog update on the F-8. It is here: http://www.dknights.wordpress.com Where is yours?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a sheet from hasegawa that has VF-53 markings on it I will look tonight in my decal stash and see if is the markings that you are looking for. Do you have the aircraft number as assigned by the squadron and the Bureau number?

I have four sets of Microscale decals on the F-8 but none of them are VF-53. Do you have a picture of Cane's markings? Perhaps we can cobble together different parts to give you a usable set.

BTW, I checked your blog and didn't see any mention of the F-8.

Don't be nasty about the French. They were smart enough to keep flying the F-8 till the end of the century plus they had some great markings.

Crusader_03.jpg

I have a sheet from hasegawa that has VF-53 markings on it I will look tonight in my decal stash and see if is the markings that you are looking for. Do you have the aircraft number as assigned by the squadron and the Bureau number?

I will look and see. If it is the Superscale/Microscale sheet, then it is the VF-53 CAG bird. NOt the one I am looking for. I can piece together all the markings (numbers, modex, etc) The only thing that I can't find a decal for is the tail marking.

I have four sets of Microscale decals on the F-8 but none of them are VF-53. Do you have a picture of Cane's markings? Perhaps we can cobble together different parts to give you a usable set.

BTW, I checked your blog and didn't see any mention of the F-8.

Don't be nasty about the French. They were smart enough to keep flying the F-8 till the end of the century plus they had some great markings.

Crusader_03.jpg

Clare,

You might have to look down a few entries on the blog. It is under "The battle of the barristers". There are two posts. When Jim and I decided to do this one of the first things I did was pull out your article from the Journal.

I'll scan and post a copy of an illustration of Cane's markings. The only thing I may not be able to find on a sheet is the tail marking A yellow "swoosh" outlined in black. Worse comes to worse, I will mask and paint it. I was looking for an easy way out.

BTW, Nice F-8 and I'd appreciate any additional insight from you regarding the kit. Look at my blog and you will see what I've already run into.