Milliput Problems

Gene

I have been using squadron putty for filler and have been somewhat satisfied with results, except it does not seem to sand as smooth as I would like. I tried milliput after hearing so many positive reports and I was really dissatisfied with this product. When I cut the two pieces, with different knives to prevent contamination, and started to blend them I ended up with a really sticky ball of clay that was difficult to use and shape and in several instances did not get hard after several days. The few times I was able to successfully use this product I was satisfied with the sanding properties but overall I am not happy. I have been hearing about Aves sculpting putty and wonder what you all think. Thanks in advance for your response.

Hi Gene,

I know there are lots of folks out there who swear by Milliput, but I've never liked the stuff. It seems to have some shelf life problems that other epoxy putties don't have, such as the components getting hard and more brittle. I suspect your curing problems are due to either not mixing the product well, not getting enough of the catalyst part in the mix, age of the product, or maybe a combination of them.

I use MagicSculpt two part epoxy putty and love it. I know plenty of other guys who feel the same about the Aves products. Shelf life doesn't seem to be an issue with the MagicSculpt, I've been using the same batch of MS for going on 6 years now I think. I think you'll find that they all have that sticky issue. The best way to deal with that is wet fingers and/or tools.

Hope that helps some.

Mike

Tamiya Two Part putty is the same way! I have had the same container since 97 and it still hasn't dried out. It mixes easy, sands well and is slightly sticky but a little water on the fingers keeps that down.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had generally good luck with Milliput, except for the shelf life issue. As a 1/72 aircraft builder, I don't think I've ever used even half of a batch of the stuff before it went bad. I recently tried something called "Apoxy Sculpt" and love it. The stuff has similar properties to Milliput, but it comes in two plastic containers, and doesn't seem to be prone to drying out.

As for two-part putty getting sticky while kneading, like Mark says, just dip your fingers in some water.

SN

Edited by snelson