Greebles n' Bits....

In doing some research for adding some extra detail to my latest project, I came across a neet (but dated) website with some photos of the original Battlestar Galactica studio model. For those who don't know, the original studio model surface detail was accomplished by using various parts from a plethora of Saturn V model parts and Tamiya armor kits - in some of the progress photos, you can even see Tamiya model kit boxes laying around. Also detailed is the studio model replica built by Jim Creveling. As best as I can tell, his replica is all but identical to the original...

Just stare at the photos - I lost track of time and ended up spending nearly an hour looking at them - everyt time I took a second look, I could identify another familay tank or rocket part....

http://www.cloudster.com/sets&vehicles...a/Galactica.htm

It's a shame that pretty much every sci-fi series and film uses CGI. One recent notable exception is the 2009 film 'Moon' (highly recommended, by the way). While there's alot you can do with CGI, it still lacks a certain depth that comes with shooting physical miniatures. I simply don't think that depth can be duplicated with CGI (yet).

Thanks Michael,

Great link! Thanks for posting. I don't think I have seen this one before!

I followed the link and enjoyed at least two hours browsing through the photo galleries of the various spacecraft. I had seen the Battlestar Galactica photos before, but this time I printed them on good paper with a good printer. Thanks for posting it.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

Site must have bandwidth problems now., I'll have a look later.

But a few IPMS Nats ago, Mat Irvine, spfx guru for some BBC sci-fi shows and IIRC did some model work on 2001, gave a talk about the

difference between real models and CGI - an excellent talk

While there is a lot CGI can do, IMHO I prefer a real model.