First time assembling 1/16 resin figures

I posted this identical question in the Figures forum. I apologize if that is violation of protocol for these forums.

As noted in the title this is my first attempt to assemble and paint a 1/16 scale resin figure. I have spent one hour looking for a video on how to remove those big blocks of resin on the upper body and the lower body surfaces to be joined. Do you simply sand them off? Would someone be kind enough to point me to a video on how this is done?  These figures come with no instructions.

IMG_1209.thumb.jpeg.987006efce683351e380a545d0248b3e.jpeg

Hi Stuart:

They can be sanded off or cut off with sprue nippers or a razor saw. Biggest thing is not to screw up the good stuff around it.

You can also use a Dremel and a ball shaped bit and grind it down that way

Dave

Be sure to wear a mask and have good ventilation too. You do not want to be breathing in that resin dust!

But then you most likely already knew that....

Mark - I did find videos beforehand that clearly emphasized the use of a mask. What I didn’t expect was the strong odor that accompanies the dust ☹️. Also, I came across the word “gate” that allowed me to narrow my search on removing those huge blocks of resin. I used the tools noted by Dave and did a fair job getting the pieces ready to assemble. It takes some work to do this.

Thanks so much for responding. I always enjoy viewing your aircraft posts and appreciate your responding to my questions.

Stuart

Edited by StuartMont
Revised terminology

Well I got all the pieces assembled. When I joined the legs to the torso, it slipped so they’re a bit off center. You can see it clearly on the rear view. Also, I used CA glue to attach and it looks like I got a bit heavy in areas where I can see shiny stains on the figure. Hopefully, after I prime and paint these won’t be too obvious.  Any comments or critiques would be welcome. I’ve got one more to assemble. 

IMG_1219.thumb.jpeg.41272cb2c7201bcb918fe0ae0c23acaf.jpegIMG_1220.thumb.jpeg.4b8fabe14721cb2b9cce921390ca8114.jpeg

This is looking good! As for then off center lower part, perhaps a bit of sanding just below the joint to remove some resin and balance the appearance will help. Most times a paint job will cover excess CA, unless it globs up and creates bulbs. Sanding the smooth will alleviate that.

Thanks for responding Mark, I’ll try some sanding before I prime/paint. I’m using the colors shown in a Tamiya model that I built. Does a color chart for WWII RAF pilots exist out there somewhere?

Stuart

I'm not sure if a color chart exists for WWII RAF pilots. However, there should be some good shots of WWII RAF uniforms on any British museum photos and I'd heard the the movie "Battle of Britain" tried hard to be as authentic as possible so you might get some ideas from that too.

Thanks Mark. I have seen the many photos available online, etc. Unfortunately I don’t do well looking at colors on a computer and translating that into a specific paint. The Tamiya instructions are probably the most specific I can find.  Appreciate your weighing in. 

Stuart

• Like 1

I wanted to post an update of this 1/16 WWII RAF Pilot.  I have completed most of the base colors following a chart from a model kit.  Now it is time to paint the face and hands as well as shadows and highlights on the uniform; buttons, buckles, etc.  There are also several places to "touch-up" because of my heavy hand.  I have read several tutorials about shadows and highlights.  Ditto for the face which in fact seems to me to be the hardest part if you have no artistic ability like me.  As such, anything to add would be greatly appreciated.  Comments, no matter how critical, would be most welcome.  Thanks in advance.

IMG_1283.thumb.jpeg.06cd36273adc7964ccf800a891f19552.jpegIMG_1284.thumb.jpeg.966b23983022aeca9188f23c4a3d9a30.jpeg