Hi everybody

scottj

I'm new to IPMS but have been modeling as long as I can remember.  Home is Cedar Park, Texas on the north edge of Austin.  My main focus is 1/700 ships and naval history.  I built everything as a kid but like many stopped after getting married.  I started again about 20 years ago and more seriously for the last 15 years.  I'm in my mid 60s but am unlikely to make it through my stash in this lifetime.  

My favorite projects are those with some sort of personal connection.  The USS Bugara my father-in-law served on, the gearing-class my wife's uncle was on, the USS Cocopa my uncle served on, scratchbuilding the 32-foot morgan sailboat my buddy's family had as a kid in 1/24 scale, the Dragon Wagon and TRV from my dad's unit in Germany, or even versions of my first car (1970 Plymouth Satellite) and my wife's (1962 Rambler - that was hard to find!).  The most rewarding was a 1/48 P-47D-25 a career US Air Force friend flew in WWII.  

Looking forward to learning more about this community.

2 hours ago, scottj said:

I'm in my mid 60s but am unlikely to make it through my stash in this lifetime.  

Welcome, you’re in good company, if I quit buying kits right now (at 64) I MIGHT have a chance, but that’s not going to happen!!

OOOh, you just missed our National Convention is San Marcos last summer. It was a great show. There's a model club in San Antonio and they have their annual Model Fiesta in a few weeks. More info here:  http://modelfiesta.com You can find other IPMS chapters under the heading "Chapter" on the home page of this site. Welcome aboard. Please share your work when you get a chance.  

Welcome Scott! You sure sound just like most of us, including the "stash" we'll never finish off. Glad to have you here. Let us know how we can help you have FUN!

Gil :cool:

20 hours ago, Ron Bell said:

OOOh, you just missed our National Convention is San Marcos last summer. It was a great show. There's a model club in San Antonio and they have their annual Model Fiesta in a few weeks. More info here:  http://modelfiesta.com You can find other IPMS chapters under the heading "Chapter" on the home page of this site. Welcome aboard. Please share your work when you get a chance.  

Actually, it's the main reason I'm here.  It was overwhelming in terms of the number of models to drool over and I was in heaven being able to shop for the oddball bits and bobs I'd only read about.  I'm hoping to make it down to New Braunfels!

Which is the appropriate form to share some work?

Edited by scottj
  • Like 1

There's individual topics for each genre in the second section of the DF as you scroll down the main page. You can post whatever you've built (and will build) in the appropriate area to share with others who build those same types. Post pictures of your models or ask questions if you need help on a technique or need to be pointed to a product you're looking for.

Gil :cool: