Airfix 1/76 Matilda MkII

Ron Bell

I dragged this out of the stash to have something to do while paint/glue dried on another project and I just got sucked into it. It's the old Airfix Matilda II from a blister pack. It's not terrible, especially considering it's age, although the ESCI one was much better although in a slightly larger scale. But, like I said, I was basically just killing time and it was on hand so I went with it. I back dated it to a Matilda II from the. BEF in 1940. That meant a different armored coaxial MG sleeve, the 'mud flaps' on the ends of the fenders and a different exhaust system. I also drilled out the lifting eyes on the turret just to make them stand out more. The original tracks in the kit were so stiff there was no way they would conform to their proper run, so I cheated and used some much more flexible tracks from another Airfix kit that fit fine, look ok and I was able to make them conform better. You have to guess what kit I took them from. Decals were from the spares pile. So, it's done and I was kind of surprised how well it turned out.

PXL_20230320_195403490.jpg

PXL_20230320_195421260.jpg

PXL_20230320_195445287.jpg

PXL_20230320_195457162.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good Ron. You can never go wrong with a Matilda.