Maddog Manufacturing 2023 Grand Reopening

Mark Deliduka

No, I'm not worried that you posted on my Thread. It is quite welcome. And yes, I'll be building more today after I get to the Hobby Day hall.

Stay tuned, I hope to be posting some pics sometime this week.

1 hour ago, Mark Deliduka said:

No, I'm not worried that you posted on my Thread. It is quite welcome. And yes, I'll be building more today after I get to the Hobby Day hall.

Stay tuned, I hope to be posting some pics sometime this week.

OOOOOOOOOOfff, thanks for your kindness ..Ah right , I'll be looking for ward to see them !..GO,GO,GOOOO

Okay, Jean-Marc, here you go....

My apologies; I have been gone for awhile, but now I have time to actually start a new tour of Maddog Manufacturing. This will be a rather short tour, as I've had a lot going on and not as much time to work on anything much except when I got to Hobby Days. Even then, Hobby Day production was down. 

Anyway, without further ado, let's board the trams and get this tour started!

Once again, we start in the Hangar. 

Not much to show, but we did get started on two models that two friends purchased for me at the latest Distressed Kit Auction back in June. These were the Matchbox F-6F Hellcat built up to this point:

full

Next was an ancient Airfix Avenger as part of that deal. We got it this far:

full

Again, short tour, that's all there is in the Hangar. Now to check out the work in the Shipyards....

Over here in the shipyards, only a small amount of work has been done on a couple of the small boats. First, the Vosper's Perkasa boat hull was masked for painting the lower hull:

full

Next, we got all the greeblies added to the front and second decks of the Japanese PT-15 torpedo boat:

First the front deck:

full

The extra holes are for the railings that will be going on last. And now a shot of this with the first two forward decks cemented in and the rear deck just dry fit in place:

full

This is almost all ready for paint at this point. The decks and greeblies and deck houses all have the same Neutral grey color. 

Moving on to the Motor Pool, there's been a little more done than in the previous departments, starting with a couple French vehicles that are based on the AMX-13 chassis.

First is the AMX-61 102mm self propelled gun. We got it all assembled to this point and then promptly lost the gun mount assembly seen in the lower right of the picture:

full

Looks like that won't be done for awhile until that sub assembly shows up again, or a new kit is purchased. Story of my life, especially recently...

The other French vehicle is the DCA. We first got all the main roadwheels on it:

full

By the way, the plastic is not that blue....

Later we assembled the radar set in parts as we tried figuring out how it was supposed to look. The instructions show it facing aft and I wanted mine to be facing forward:

full

You can see above that while sub assemblies for the radar set were drying, additional parts were added to the turret. Later we got things figured out and assembled, as well as most of the remaining detail parts that won't break off during painting and handling:

full

Finally, the lower hull for the Israeli Shot Kal Gimmel was assembled:

full

We also had gotten the same assembly done for the Shot Kal Dalet but since it looks the same, no need for a pic.

Additional progress was made on the Russian 240 mm tracked artillery piece; the tracks were added to the bogie assemblies:

full

Later on, all the sub assemblies were put together to see what adjustments would be needed:

full

Last but not least, we got almost all the assembly done on the South African Eland-90. The only problem now is that the main gun has gone missing so until we get another, or find the sprue that has it; this one will sit unfinished for awhile:

full

Finally, in our semi-rarely used spare workshop, we have a couple little projects happening. 

First off, the chassis to the 1/24 scale Packard was glued inside the fenders since anytime we tried adding additional chassis parts, the whole chassis kept breaking apart:

full

Hopefully, this will stay glued; this plastic is so brittle it barely holds together!

Finally, for fun, we've been working on the ancient UPC model of a Roman Racing Chariot. No scale is given, but based on the size of the guys, it is probably somewhere between 1/50-1/56 scale; possibly 1/48 at a stretch. First, the Roman crew was painted up with the colors available at the time:

full

Later, they were completely painted, waiting on washes and drybrushing:

full

full

Two of the horses were done next; the other two will be black stallions. The two whites will need a bit of touch up:

full

Finally, the chariot itself was built up and then painted. It said to make the chariot black but I decided we were going to paint it white:

full

You can see some of the other details were painted as well. Later all the painting was done; all that's needed are some touch ups and then the decals can go on:

full

full

And that concludes this latest tour of Maddog Manufacturing, I hope you enjoyed it. As always, comments are welcome.

YYYYYYYYYYYes SIR .. now your talking ..I surely enjoy your tour ,....lots of interesting subject in there of course the BEN-HUR project is something we do not see often build and enjoy seing it ..Well done and looking forward to continue the tour soon the tour guide as completed is break ! .. GO,GO,GOOOOOO

On my side I have work this week so far on these 1/48 projects so far ..

GENERAL PROJECT :

(SCRATCH) MID-30 FRENCH AIRFIELD CRANE (COMPLETED) 

(FINE MOLD + TESTOR) CURTISS R3C X 2

(MODELA) LETOV LET-13 JAWA ENGINE

(TRUMPETER)  GERMAN SUB VII

(GLENCOE) 36 'FEET  US COAST GUARD SHIP  

(HASEGAWA) MACROSS VF-1S/A 

(AIRFIX) MODERN BRITISH TRAILORS

(REVELL) M.38 JEEP

(SCRATCH) M.274 MULES X 2

(SCRATCH )JOHANESS WHINKLER WH-II (NEW PROJECT)

(SCRATCH) RAF GROUND LEVEL (NEW PROJECT)

To end the week , tonight I plan to advance on 

(TESTOR) EC-130V 'US COST GUARD' HERCULES

(REVELL) M.101 GUN

AVRO CANADA PROJECT :

(HOBBYCRAFT) AVRO CF-105 ARROW MACH 2 MUCK-UP

(HOBBYCRAFT) AVRO CF-105 ARROW MID-FUSELAGE MASTER MOLD 

(SCRATCH) AVRO CF-105 ARROW EXHAUST TROLLEY for the ASSEMBLY JIG  DIORAMA

(REVELL) AVRO CF-105 ARROW PROGRAM GENERATOR JEEP 

(SCRATCH) AVRO CF-105 ARROW 'ZERO LENGHT LAUNCH' STRUCTURE

(SCRATCH) AVRO CF-105 ARROW ENGINE TEST STRUCTURE (NEW PROJECT)

(SCRATCH) CANADAIR VELVET GLOVE 

(SCRATCH) AVRO C-102 JETLINER

(SCRATCH) AVRO SPORT CAR PRESENTATION BASE   

To end the week , tonight I plan to advance on 

(SCRATCH) AVRO CF-105 ARROW COCKPIT ASSEMBLY JIG

(KIT BASHING) AVRO CF-105 ARROW IROQUOIS ENGINE 

..Guess I should start my own post !..lol

Jmarc

PS.. here a pic of the completed CRANE :

DSCF6577.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 4:47 PM, Mark Deliduka said:

Sweet Jean-Marc! I like that crane. Well done. Looks like you have quite the "assembly line" going as well. 

TTTTTTTTThank you .. Your post is quite an motivation factor ...Keep them coming I never get anough !

Despite more issues happening, we managed to get more progress done. The next tour of Maddog Manufacturing is preparing to start. All aboard the trams for this next trip through Maddog Manufacturing. remember to keep hands and feet inside the trams at all times.

Once again, we'll start in the Hangar.

Some time before, knowing that the weather was going to improve, we masked off the various aircraft that we planned to paint. The Hellcat got Silly Putty in the cockpit and wheel wells:

full

full

The Avenger was masked off the same, with tape and Silly Putty:

full

With the weather more amenable to airbrushing a couple days later, some of these finally got their first paint.

The two Spitfires got their undercoat:

[IMGhttps://modelersalliance.org/galleries/wip-british-spitfire-mk-ix-a-jpg.129969/full[/IMG]

full

Followed by the Russian Il-2M3 Shtormovik:

full

Then we shot the blue on the Russian Be-4 flying boat:

full

Followed by the white underneath the Avenger:

full

Once the paint dried sufficiently on the Avenger, more masking was applied for the second color:

full

I masked the tail wrong; it was supposed to be an angled white section; I masked the entire moveable part. That's how it's gonna stay. The intermediate blue went on next:

full

Finally, when the intermediate blue was dry, we masked off the blue for the final color which will hopefully go on later this weekend or next week:

full

That finishes the tour of the Hangar, now on to the Shipyards....

This next one was a kit I got in a Distressed Kit Auction; I had thought it was a 1/72 scale boat. So we got started on it, getting the hull and some major parts assembled:

full

That took all of five minutes. Another fifteen to twenty minutes later, it looked like this:

full

That's when I realized this is actually more like 1/96 scale,  The crewmen and stubby torpedoes kinda gave it away. Oh well, it is all finished assembly and ready for paint so I will finish it and leave it on the shelf.

That's all that was done in the Shipyards, so on to the Motor Pool....

Here in the Motor Pool, things have moved on better. First off, the little Russian fire truck got a better coat of red paint on it, prior to moving forward on the finishing:

full

The M48-A5 has been finally masked with Silly Putty for the second of three (or four) colors on the camouflage:

full

Meanwhile, further progress was made building the detail parts and sub-assemblies for the Russian 280mm tracked artillery piece:

full

Still a lot more pieces and sub-assemblies to do for that little gun. I feel like it's taking forever, but at least I can see progress every time I take more pics.

Moving on to the next bay we have the French DCA getting it's tracks on:

full

Later on we added almost all the photo etch to this. I wanted to let the turret P/E dry before adding the last P/E part on the other side of the turret:

full

Finally everything dried enough to add the final piece of Photo Etch.This one is now ready for paint:

full

Moving to the next bin, rapid progress was made on the Israeli Sho't Kal Gimmel. The upper hull plates went on, the wheels went on, and the basic turret was assembled. Then I noticed we put more than half the wheels on backward and had to pull them off and re-install them properly:

full

Later we tried to get the next Israeli Sho't Kal Dalet caught up but only got the upper hull plates on, the wheels installed (correctly!) and half the turret assembled:

full

Hopefully further progress can be made soon. I want to get these both in the spray booth at the same time.

Finally, in our separate Assembly Yard, we have progress done on a couple of unique and different models. First is the Packard in 1/24 scale. This beastie has been causing so many problems. First off, the instructions say to place the engine cover on and then glue the radiator assembly on since the engine cover is supposed to come off to show the engine itself. After adding the fire wall, we did just that, making sure it would dry right with tape:

full

You can see it didn't quite make it. That is mostly because the engine cover itself wasn't seated properly. While it was drying, we added half of the parts to the rear of the car. Some parts were missing, so I just need to find them somewhere in the hobby room to finish this part:

full

Naturally I wanted to see how well the wheels lined up and touched the ground. What I found was disappointing to say the least. This rear wheel was so misaligned that the car looked like it was lifting the back wheel to water a fire hydrant! Our attempts to fix it resulted in a shattered leaf spring , some of which was re-glued on:

full

Then I thought we should build the canvas top, and found this issue when we did:

full

Look on the left and you'll see how warped this was. Just like everything else on this warped brittle model, it was one more thing that made me box this up and stick it back on the shelf for now.

Finally, we did make some progress on the last fun little project. The horses and chariot are now glued together and mounted on the base. Now all that is needed is the reins and whip and we can call this done:

full

full

And that now concludes this latest tour of Maddog Manufacturing. Thank you all for stopping in and taking the tour, it's a pleasure to have you aboard. As always, comments are welcome.

Astounding progress, as usual Duke! And that must be a Matchbox Hellcat seeing as how it looks to have been molded in 3 colors!  

The painting on that chariot is most impressive. That's going to turn some heads when done!

Gil :cool:

Gil, thank you ever so much! Yes, it is a Matchbox Hellcat. It was given to me by a couple friends at my IPMS meeting when I couldn't attend the Distressed Kit Auction. It is a blast! Now to find the colors I need to make it a Fleet Air Arm bird. And yes, I'm looking forward to showing off that Chariot soon. Meanwhile, here's another tour for you to enjoy....

Well we have had a pretty productive week this past week, so now it's time to host another tour of Maddog Manufacturing. The trams are boarding now, so all aboard and remember to keep hands and feet inside at all times.

As always, we start in the Hangar.

We had a great opportunity to bring out the spray gun and so base paints were shot on all aircraft needing it topside.

First were the two Spitfires:

full

full

Then the Russian Be-4:

full

You can see the paint was a bit too diluted so we took another shot. The second shot was far better:

full

full

And the Be-4:

full

While we had the better paint in the sprayer, we also shot the Il-2M3:

full

While all that was drying, we switched and shot the final Navy blue onto the Avenger:

full

Later that masking came off that and now the Avenger is ready for clearcoat and decals:

full

Personally, I do not know why the turret frosted like it did. I was certain the masking was sealed properly so I have no idea what happened. I will try to buff it out and shine it as best I can, but I am not going to go to outlandish lengths to make it as perfect as possible.

So that is all that has been done in the Hangar so far. You can see everything has been set up for the remaining camouflage patterns before clearcoat and decals. There might be a few aircraft crossing the finish line this month!

Since nothing of note has been happening in the Shipyards, we'll move on to the Motor Pool.

Here in the Motor Pool quite a bit has been done. To start with, here in Bay One, we found an ancient ESCI kit of a Hetzer that we were trying to sell. The box was busted up, and the thing had no nibbles, even when priced at a buck. So, out it came and the basic first steps were made. You can see here the main lower hull was assembled, but when it came time for the front plate to be installed, it broke while we were cleaning it up. So this is where it stands now:

full

Moving on to the next bay, we have the first shot of green on the base of the Russian 280m tracked artillery piece. Like the aircraft, I didn't like it. Besides, certain pieces were left off so they had to be added before we shot it again. You can see it here with the gun dry-fit into place:

full

Later, the base part got it's second coat:

full

Meanwhile, I felt it was time for the second tracked artillery piece to be started so we pulled out that and assembled the main gun first:

full

Later the base part was started, but a semi-vital piece is missing.  I might just say 'screw it!' and move on anyway....

full

That is as far as we got on that one. In this next bay, we shot the base coat on the French DCA anti-aircraft system. It does NOT look this blue in person:

full

Later came clearcoat, a wash, and decals:

full

This one was later driven out onto the parade ground for breaking in by it's crew.

In this next bay, we decided to move forward on the Sho't Kal Dalet by completing the basic turret. For some reason, this turret was far more rough than the Gimmel turret was:

full

Later after some cleanup, the main gun was added to the turret and the fenders were added to the sides:

full

Now this is more or less caught up with the Gimmel. Moving on to the next bay, we have the M48-A5 Patton. The base had already been shot on, so the masking went on and the second color was shot:

full

Additional Silly Putty was added to cover the second color when it was dry:

full

And the third color was shot:

full

When it was dry, I hand painted some black shapes on the edges for the fourth color. They may be a bit hard to see in this pic, they look like shadows:

full

Finally, everything came off when it was all dry:

full

Later a clearcoat and decals went on:

full

After that, some dullcoat was applied, and the final details were added and this was driven off by it's crew for familiarization....

In another bay over here, the M1070 gun truck finally had some progress done. Base paint was applied to the inside of the cab and the outside:

full

The windscreen and side doors were masked off, both inside and out:

full

Finally, base paint was shot on the rear gunner's box, the clear parts and the other sub-assemblies, as well as a lighter OD on the anti-RPG panels:

full

That is where we left that one, but there's more. While organizing my parts, I found a small machine gun turret for my T-28 kit. I had just put that kit up and so I found it again and was able to finally have the whole kit again! This tank had already been basecoated green before the turret got lost, and so now, I am finally able to finish this Shelf Queen after ten years! Silly Putty was added for the second color:

full

Then the tan was shot:

full

Finally the unmasking:

full

This one then got final details added and was then turned over to their crew for breaking in.

That's all for today. Nothing esoteric this time, but still hopefully some interesting items in the tour.

Thank you all for looking in, comments are welcome.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are, two weeks later and I was able to get a lot done, more than expected. So much so that I will need to do two tours; one to the Hangar and then in the next post the tour will leave for the Motor Pool. So, all aboard the trams for the next tour through the Maddog Manufacturing Hangars....

In the first bay we have a shelf queen coming out again. This is the 1/72 scale Concorde SST we started about four years ago. The fit is atrocious and the wings have massive gaps. More attempts were made to close and fill those gaps as best as possible:

full

full

Even the bottom of this model had canyons to deal with:

full

That's as far as we got on that so far. Next is the two Spitfires, both of them were masked with the Silly Putty and shot with the RAF Ocean Grey over the top:

Mark IX:

full

Mark XIV. I changed the pattern a little to allow me to cover that uneven splotch of green with the grey:

full

It was sprayed like the Mk.IX at the same time:

full

After awhile, the Silly Putty came off both of them. he Mk.IX is here:

full

...and the Mk.XIV is here:

full

Believe me, the paint is much darker than these pics show. You can see that here after I shot gloss clear over them to prepare for decals:

full

full

While all that was going on, we also masked off the Russia Il-2M3 Shtormovik with the Silly Putty and sprayed with the second color:

full

Later that Silly Putty came off and we were ready for clear coat:

full

Here it is after the clear coat:

full

Again, that is more representative of the real colors we sprayed.

Moving on to the next bay, I was not happy with the main wing on the Russian Be-4. Therefore, we put about a quarter tube of Tamiya Putty on top and bottom where the discrepancies were:

full

full

Later, this was sanded smooth, another coat of putty added and finally repainted:

full

full

That wing has since been clear coated and the decals have been added. That one should be done fairly soon.

Our next tour of the Motor Pool starts in a bit. Meanwhile, comments are welcome; thanks all for stopping in!

And now for our tour of the Motor Pool at Maddog Manufacturing.  A considerable amount of progress has been made here.

Let's start here with the civilian Ford Stakebed truck, which has been painted with the cream on the cab and truck bed:

full

Later the red trim was added after everything was masked off:

full

That is where we left this right now. Moving on to the next bay we have another Shelf Queen, started about six years ago. Finally found all the missing parts and got all the rest of the main parts installed:

full

Later this truck also got a coat of red, making this almost ready to be declared finished:

full

Moving to the next bay we find the Russian tracked 280mm gun. The main gun has been glued to the carriage and almost all the final details have been added. Some parts and sub assemblies have gone missing, but we're going to continue to work on this until all is found:

full

Later the photo etch was added, bringing this closer to being done:

full

Next to this is the Russian tracked 152mm gun. This was started later, but we now have it catching up to the 280mm gun. First we installed the main gun in the trunnions, and made the hydraulics that raise and lower the gun:

full

We added more details to the main carriage, cemented down the gun and also finished off most of the details on the trunnions, bringing this to the photo etch stage:

full

Photo etch and some final details added next and this was ready for paint:

full

After everything had sufficiently dried, we shot a base of Russian Green on this. It shows much lighter in this pic than it does in real life:

full

The same had been shot on the 280mm gun but I apparently forgot to take pics of that.

Moving on, we found another Shelf Queen, this one only two years old. It's the Modelcollect SCUD D TEL that needed some more green paint on additional parts that had been added after it was painted:

full

full
'
I was going to camouflage this, but I don't want to hassle with re-masking all the windows again. We might hand brush the pattern on it, I'm still trying to decide. Meanwhile, this is ready for further progress....

In the next bay, we have the two Israeli Centurions. This first one, the Sho't Kal Gimmel; got all the detail parts on the main hull and we started on some of the details on the turret:

full

Later we finished all the details on the turret. Here it is all set and ready for photo etch:

full

Interestingly enough; the photo etch sheet for this kit is missing. So, we continued to work on the Centurion Sho't Kal Dalet. Again, most of the turret and all of the hull details were added, just as with the Gimmel:

full

Later the turret was done completely:

full

That thing on the front of this tank is a battering ram. Some Dalets had them so I added this to mine to help differentiate between them.

We had the photo etch for this one so almost all the photo etch was added to this:

full

Once everything was dry, we shot a base of Green Drab on this tank. It is still wet in this picture:

full

full

After this completely dried, we applied a light coat of Israeli Sand Grey over the top, modulating the color for added ascetics. It is real hard to see in this picture, but I assure you it is there:

full

That is where we stopped on these, next up is the most difficult Armory ZSU-23-4 Shilka. First, we did the simple part; adding almost all the detail parts to the upper hull:

full

Then we built the quad guns. They were built on two carriages, two each per carriage:

full

Now, adding these to the turret was a nightmare. There were three parts that you needed to glue together that were so delicate that if you looked at them wrong, they broke....and they were the mounting plates for these guns! So, after three and a half hours of finagling and fighting with this, we finally had this done:

full

Note the one gun wasn't straight. We fixed that but when we went to add the second set of guns; we ended up with this:

full

Yep! Everything fell apart, blowing away three and a half hours of work. While I fought to recover from that frustration, we finished off most of the details on the turret:

full

I figured it would be easier for us if these were added before the guns went on reducing the risk they break.

After about another hour and a half of work on the guns, we finally managed to get them installed.....and more importantly, looking correct!

full

Here's a final shot of the upper and lower hulls together (yes the lower hull is under there!) and the turret mounted on the top:

full

That was as far as I wanted to go with that one! It says cooling hoses are supposed to be added and shows a diagram, but after fighting this so hard; those will not be added.

Finally in this last bay we have the M1070 gun truck. First off, the last details were assembled and everything was cemented down to the chassis:

full

Next another full shot of green was added:

full

Afterward, we freehanded a camouflage pattern on this, and sprayed the gun box a rusted metal color:

full

We're gonna be clear coating this for decals soon, and then finish off the final details.

And that is the extended tour of Maddog Manufacturing Motor Pool. Thank you all for stopping in and remember that comments are welcome.

• Like 1

YES SIRRRRRRRRRRRRR !..The air as clean up this week what a releave ..lol... what a trill to see at this action .. This week was mainly a military advance well tought... Keep them coming I just can't get anought .. Mine was on 28 projects but that is another story .. I'm looking forward for the new year so I can also start my post !...

GOG,GO,OOOO