Bandai MG 1:100 2.0 Gundam G-3 (RX78-3)

CobraPla

Good day fellow builders

Sunday I completely another custom build for a group event I'm running.

My process is simply this: 

Assemble the model

Take it apart and organize the pieces in a container for prep.

Scribe some panel lines to bring out a few fine details.

Prime the model all in black primer followed by sparying white on certain pieces. This is to allow the vibrant colors to keep their shade.

Paint using various lacquer paints(modo hk, hobby mio, and sms. Enamels and acrylic were used for fine detail work.

Assemble the model again with the painted parts.

Apply a clear gloss top coat

Apply water slide decals in both 1:100 and 1:144 scales

Once that was finished I top the model off with another gloss coat.

Finally I mask off several secrion with ak camo putty. Now I normally like this stuff but due to the very warm weather it's been a challenge to remove. Especially in spots at the head.

The model then is given a final top coat tying the whole project together.

I am now working on a display base to really make the model stand out. 

20220911_113610.jpg

20220911_133619.jpg

20220911_111842.jpg

20220911_134029.jpg

20220911_135000.jpg

20220911_114813.jpg

20220911_145450.jpg

Edited by CobraPla

You have quite the collection of One Year War mobile suits!  Is the G-3 Gundam going to be taking on a Zeon MS?  Char Dom perhaps?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Neo said:

You have quite the collection of One Year War mobile suits!  Is the G-3 Gundam going to be taking on a Zeon MS?  Char Dom perhaps?

So far I plan on having the G3 on its own base. However I have a 1.0 Rick dom that was planned to get a char repaint. With it's own stand as well. It would be crazy to do a big display. However my personal storage is very limited. 

The Dom 2.0 (or is it really a 1.5?) improves the leg jointing and has some new arm parts.  The rotary hips is a feature all mech kits should have.  The only downer is that the parts that used to be ABS are now molded in that sucky KPS styrene.  It’s like going back to 1980 when kits didn’t have poly caps.

Well, separate bases take up less shelf space, so your approach makes sense.  Have you done or are planning to do a Gundam “Last Shooting” or Gundam vs Gouf dio with the Gouf losing both arms?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Neo said:

The Dom 2.0 (or is it really a 1.5?) improves the leg jointing and has some new arm parts.  The rotary hips is a feature all mech kits should have.  The only downer is that the parts that used to be ABS are now molded in that sucky KPS styrene.  It’s like going back to 1980 when kits didn’t have poly caps.

Well, separate bases take up less shelf space, so your approach makes sense.  Have you done or are planning to do a Gundam “Last Shooting” or Gundam vs Gouf dio with the Gouf losing both arms?

Yea it is really a 1.5 mostly because the core dom is the same but with a few improvements but not by much. They didn't retool the whole kit either. Just some new molded parts really here and there and improved some articulation. 

I have considered doing a last shooting but the Gundam vs gouf no. I have so many kits in my stash that I have to get through 😅

On 9/14/2022 at 2:59 PM, Mark Deliduka said:

Wow,brilliant work on that model, I love the versatility too! The pic with two rocket launchers in each hand is so bada** looking! Best pose EVER!

Sensational work man! Keep them coming!

Appreciate it thank you!