F-106 Nose Weight

nmertes

I'm very slowly building a Monogram 1/48th scale F-106.  Any of you that have built either the Monogram or Trumpeter kit recall how much nose weight you used?  It probably won't be very much as the main gear is set fairly far back on the airframe.

I built the 1/48 scale Monogram F-106 and if I recall I had a round 1/4oz fishing weight in the nose, plus another one somewhere near the cockpit. It's been awhile though, so if you need to experiment, go for it.

Thanks Mark.  That's about what I expected.  BTW I've been using self-adhesive wheel weights for a couple years.  They are in ¼ ounce segments and can be pounded very thin & folded/molded into almost any shape you need.

Interesting. I've always used fishing weights but that does sound interesting. I know my mechanic uses them and I've picked up a few used ones off his parking lot but never used them before this.

Now to find out where I put those. Hmmm.......

Ok, here is a thought for you all.  Woods metal is readily available and can be used in models.  It has a melting point of about 160 F so well below boiling water.  In the case of a nose mount you could melt some(just to a liquid) and place the nose in cold water so it keeps the plastic cool,  and pour a little metal in.  It will then be a perfectly fitted weight.  It is really very close to lead in weight.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood's_metal

Like lead the vapors are toxic, so use in a well ventilated space. 

Interesting idea, Pete.  I've never heard of Woods's metal before.  I found it on amazon.com but, it looks like a rather small amount.  Any idea where it can be found locally?

2 hours ago, nmertes said:

Interesting idea, Pete.  I've never heard of Woods's metal before.  I found it on amazon.com but, it looks like a rather small amount.  Any idea where it can be found locally?

I don't know of any local sellers but I just Google woods metal and come up with a lot of places that sell 1 pound ingots or other forms. I would get it from one of the scientific suppliers.  I seem to have had better luck with them. 

To be honest with you, I bought mine a long time ago so I am not sure where I got it.  I would bet it was in Pennsylvania for an interesting reason.  The maker was using old Hershey's molds.  My pieces came looking like single squares off of a Hershey bar.  😆  I originally bought it to use as a low temperature solder.  It really works well for that.  If you want something with a higher melting point but below boiling water, you can also get Rose metal.  That melts at about 200 degrees.  

I came to use it when soldering parts together on a model.  I often I have to solder two or more pieces close to each other.  The problem is when you go to solder the second piece, it melts the solder on the first piece and it falls off, so I use a lower temperature solder on the second piece.  Works great when you can't get a heat sink between the two pieces. 

Edited by PeteJ
  • Like 1