New model reference topic area for this site

ghodges

This question is for the admin guys here.....

Down in the A/C topic, Richard Marmo asked about him creating an ebook on building the Williams Bros C-46 he's working on. This would serve as a reference and helping tool for anyone else building that kit.

The thought occurred to me that maybe this idea could be expanded here to both help our members and visitors, as well as to provide an incentive for people to visit our discussion forum more often.

What I envision is a gathering and organizing of the BUILD threads (NOT the postings of completed model pics) already here. For example, there are almost 50pgs of threads in just the a/c topic alone. Within those 50pgs there must be no less than 25-30 builds of different a/c types and kits. What I'm suggesting is an additional topic area, or link so that if you wanted to see B-17s, you click onto that and it would take you to a list of links to ALL of the B-17 builds already here. Or perhaps you're interested in Mustangs and there's a link to all of the P-51 Mustang builds.

This, of course, would be done for all of the genres. and, as time marches on and more build threads are added here, those could be archived into the appropriate index topic. The idea is to make it easy for modelers to find builds of the type they're working on, and perhaps the very kit they're building, which can serve as a reference to help them in their own build. Currently, you have to scroll down and page back, scouring through each thread to see which ones may be builds and which ones may be something else such as reference questions or just pics of a completed model.

I guess what I'm suggesting is a sort of "index" topic area that takes people directly (or at least in 2-3clicks) to any build they may be interested in. However, I'm not sure exactly how it might be added to this page, or if an additional page might be needed, and what that might involve with our current servers.

What say you? Thanks!

GIL :smiley16:

I've set up a subform for Aircraft builds at http://forum.ipmsusa3.org/index.php?/forum/71-builds/

I could add a further sub forum for Richard's posts, but to do so for every build might become cumbersome...

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Eric

subforum.png

builds.png

That looks like it would work nicely, as it separates the builds from the rest of the posts. My other question was to the difficulty in archiving the builds on the rest of the a/c pgs into that subforum. Is that too hard, or would it eat up server space (especially when repeated for each armor, autos, figures, ships, etc.); or is it simply a matter of time on the administrators parts? This idea is (of course) something that could be implemented over the coming months, archiving builds a few at a time until completed. There's no rush to set it up in its entirety.

It would also appear that NEW builds could be posted in the subforum, correct? If so, then that also saves the trouble (or at least minimizes) the need of archiving builds in the future.

My only other question/comment is that I'd suggest having a title that simply said "C-46", and when you clicked onto that, Richards 3 threads would be there (like a menu drop box, perhaps); and any other C-46 builds (past or future) would also go there. Otherwise, after a while, the "builds" subforum will simply resemble the a/c forum in that it will be a jumble of builds that a visitor has to scroll through to find the particular subject they want to zero in on.

But then, that's where I'm looking to you to say what is doable, and what becomes an administrative nightmare. Thanks!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges