IWATA NEO AIRBRUSH PROBLEM

I hope someone can help. Last night I had a major paint spill while painting a model. There was a major clog and I tried a back flow and it went everywhere. Finally got it working and there was still a lot of paint in my cup so I kept going. When I finished I dismantled my Iwata cleaned it and put it back together. Now it will not spray. When I press the button down I get air (dual action) but when I pull back there is air but no paint and it bubbles back into the cup (doing the back flow thing) any help would be really appreciated.

You are getting reverse flow on the air so it sounds like the tip is clogged. Get a set of airbrush cleaning brushes and use some good lacquer thinner or acetone. You might also just soak all the metal parts in acetone or lacquer thinner over night. It is good to have the cleaning brushes and a small tube of airbrush lubricant on hand. Lube up the needle every time you use it. Airbrush lubricant will not cause any problems with your paint.

Passing this along, to back up the first reply and add some more tips.

“Your problem is a clogged tip. The orifice can get easily clogged with dried paint if not thoroughly cleaned. This is especially true in your situation and also if you are using acrylics. What you need to do is get micro-brushes used by ladies for fake eyelash attachment. These are pretty inexpensive and can be purchased at beauty supply outlets in packages of 100. They come in various sizes. I get mine through Amazon in “Lashes and Cosmetics”….etc. I like to have various sizes on hand. A package of 100 costs under $8 on Amazon Prime. A well-stocked beauty supply store should have them also. Sometime they can be reused.

If you are using acrylics try a flow enhancer additive to your paints. Also a retarder for acrylics will slow drying in the tip. Also when cleaning the needle try a little WD-40 lube on the it and then gently wipe it off. Or Glycerin works too.

·

· Also handy are the little dental cleaners sold under the name of G.U.M. in pharmacy department dental products. They are also good for getting into the small air and paint passages. Pipe cleaners are good for larger orifices, but only best quality brands and always beware of the possibility of leaving small bits of the cleaning material so blow out the passages and inspect closely. Not a serious problem but just be aware.

·

Note: You can also find handy little cleaning brushes and other products in beauty supply aisles in Walmart and other stores selling such products. Nail files and buffers like in the model stores but far less expensive.

Need a serious paint mixer on the cheap. Send me a note and I will pass you my article on making one for well under $20. greybeard@q.com. I will be releasing it soon to newsletters at large.”

Gil :smiley16:

When I was getting bubbles in the color cup on my Iwata, I found that after a full breakdown and cleaning I had not tightened the head cap (nozzle cap on your model) enough to the body. Hopefully a good cleaning and making sure all the parts are firmly tightened will fix your problem.