1/48 Albatross D-Va

ghodges

Built this one for the WWI group build below....This is the old Glencoe 1/48 kit, and it SUCKS! Build ANY other Albatross kit in 1/48, even the old Aurora kit is better! But, it was the one I had, and I had no idea it would be so tough when started, so I beat it into submission just to do this paint scheme. I also did the minimum rigging just to get it done. It's not going anywhere but my club meeting!

011-10.jpg

004-27.jpg

010-14.jpg

012-9.jpg

In progress shots and a list of the shortcomings of this kit can be found in the group build below. I am happy with the painted wood grain on the fuselage and prop, but not much past that, except that it is a colorful addition to the shelf!

Questions, comments, and critiques are still welcome, as always! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

• Like 1

Ah, a stealth scheme.

Seriously, beautiful work. I thought the Glencoe kits were the old Aurora kits. What's different?

Thanks! The lozenge pattern is all decals, and poor ones at that! They wouldn't react to Solveset, so getting them to lay down on the edges was a bear. They were also brittle, which caused them to "chip" along the edges, making for a lot of small areas needing to be touched up with lots of different colors!

From what I can recall (and that may be faulty) the Aurora kit is similar, but may not have the front forward fuselage cap that fits so poorly on the Glencoe kit. I also think the Aurora engine has better detailing, and the struts/pins are better molded, making for easier assembly. It's been close to 30yrs since I tackled the Aurora DIII, but that's what I recall.

All in all, I like the model, I just didn't like the work needed to build it even as a shelf sitter. That said, it (and a few other recent models) have reminded me that we don't HAVE to build EVERYTHING to "competition" standards. "Shelf sitters" can be satisfying, even if they only add some color to the shelf, fill a niche in your collection, and reduce the stash!

GIL :smiley16: