New here (kinda)

BobHolmes

Was invited to introduce myself - here goes. First and foremost, I am 71 yrs old. I was heavy into scale model aircraft back in the mid 70's until probably the late 80's. But then I just kind of gave it up. Gave away all my stuff (airbrushes, compressor, all other hardware, etc) and my models. I have threatened to start again over the years but my eyes are the same age as the rest of me, and my hands are pretty shaky now and so I just put it off. About six months ago, however, one of my grandsons asked me to help him build a 1/48 P-61 he had gotten for his birthday, and so now I am hooked. No more expensive equipment this time though, only spray paints and brushes, and the bare essentials. None the less, here I am. I said I was "kinda" new. I think I was a member of IPMS a lot of years ago, but that was back in the days when my kids did all their "computing" on an Atari 800 (no internet) so it was all done by mail. Heck, I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning much less what I did some forty years ago. I am joining this forum primarily so I can "pick the brains" and observe the posts of all you smart, talented folks who build really super models and maybe some of it will rub off on me. One thing I'm figuring that will really change. Back then I built nothing but contemporary 1/72 scale Navy jets (I am retired from the USN back in '82) and now I am gonna have to step it up to at least 1/48 out of necessity. Goes back to my nerves and eyes. Well, that is about it. Live down in S. Texas where walk in access to hobby shops isn't happening, so I guess I will get well acquainted with Squadron as in the past. Thanks for listening, and bare with me if I ask a stupid question. :smiley14:

Welcome aboard, Robert! I'm not too far behind you in age and I have learned a lot about modeling since I joined IPMS in 1980, although I've been modeling since 1955. Don't feel left out. You're in good hands here. Feel free to ask us about anything, anytime. Best,

Mark