2013 Oregon Historical Modelers Society Contest pictures

philp

Last weekend I attended this annual contest at the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville, OR, a little south of Portland.

I met Steve Bakke at Uncle Rick's hobby shop in Calgary earlier this year. Steve has the awful day job of piloting a F4U-5 Corsair out of Kalispell, MT. While we were talking he mentioned the show in Oregon and as I had some time, I decided to check it out.

First off, the museum this show is held at is awesome. Some of you may know it is now the home of the Spruce Goose and a lot of other stuff including an indoor water park where the start of the water slides is inside the fuselage of an actual Boeing 747 mounted on the roof.

P9210214.JPG

To top that off the host club ran a very nice show with a well stocked raffle including a special raffle of one of the new 1/32nd scale Zoukei-mura He-219 kits. I did manage 3 wins but not the Heinkel.

P9210002.JPG

The vendors were numerous and many seemed to just want to give away their kits. I bought way more than I had planned because I just couldn't pass up the deals. This was an issue as I had flown in but Steve came to my rescue offering to mail the large box to me. Not only that, him and his wife fed me dinner that night while we watched the Oregon St. game (his wife's alma mata).

A very quick trip but a lot of fun, met a lot of nice guys and even walked off with a couple ribbons. Will have to see if I can make next years show.

Steve's 48th scale Airfix Lightning took Best RAF subject.

P9210076.JPG

One of these 2 very nice 32nd F-16s won the category but I don't remember which. They were done by the same guy.

P9210066.JPG

P9210070.JPG

This 35th scale Academy Stuart caught my eye and I even found the kit on one of the vendor's tables, sealed, for $10.

P9210161.JPG

The first time I have seen a USPS Jeep in 1/24th.

P9210128.JPG

Best Sci-Fi was this lovely AMT Klingon Bird of Prey (that is my little 6-wheeler behind it which took a 2nd).

P9210270.JPG

And this neat little Eggbattros took 1st in the Humor category

P9210375.JPG

You can see all of the pictures of the show are here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115549746726410540917/2013OregonHistoricalModelersSocietyContest#

And pics of the museum are here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115549746726410540917/EvergreenAviationAndSpaceMuseum?noredirect=1#

Edited by philp

Check the links again, they both appear to work for me but I changed them from Google + to Picasaweb.

Guest PetrolGator

Perhaps it's my end, but I'm getting an internal service error from google. It could possibly be the way the links are expressed in the forum.

Edit: Phillip, it's my end. It's working on my phone.

These are some awesome pics! Man, what a great place to hold a contest!

I'm curious about that one F16. It has Arizona ANG fin flash, yet sports insignia for the Jordanian Air Force. Somehow, in my mind, that doesn't quite sync. I would love to know more about that.

Thanks again for these great pics.

Mark,

They belong to the United Arab Emirates (not Jordan) and the AZ flash is because they did (do?) their training out of Luke AFB.

abe.jpg?m=1371908998

The Germans also train over here but they flew out of New Mexico some place. Took these of a Luftwaffe Tornado at the Hill AFB Open House back in 2006.

Hill%2520airshow%25202006%2520075.jpg

Hill%2520airshow%25202006%2520076.jpg

Edited by philp