1/700 USS Maryland

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator
Thanks to an extremely wet weekend, I got some work done on my next build. Modeling wise, it was a productive weekend. Regarding everything else, not so much. (Though, honestly, would have rather managed my deep sea fishing trip, beach trip, and test firing the 1911 Colt 45 my father in law just restored. Balls.)

Up for the committee is a 1/700 Trumpeter USS Maryland. I've taken to using the BRM photo etch set, supplemented by hatches/hoses/etc from my spares box. Frankly, Trumpeter's details on this ship aren't all that great. Still, what can you expect in the scale from a company not named Dragon? :big_grin:

Sarcasm aside, the ship fits together nicely. Minus an ugly gap on the bridge (see below,) I haven't had any major issues. I'm using Mr. Surfacer 1000 and 1200 for most gap filling, with CA glue and white Mr Hobby putty when necessary. I'm still filling gaps and refining the plastic portions of the superstructure. I don't want to start superdetailing it until I've printed off the ship's plans someone was kind enough to provide.

Blue Ridge's set has parts for both the Maryland and Colorado. There's a LOT of brass on this that I'm pretty sure you do not use. Still, what is applicable is nice and seems to bend well. I've built one catapult (not pictured) and felt that it was ductile and easily bent without being too soft. The brass seems top notch. Instructions for what's what on the fret seems to be the only problem. I -think- I've figured out most of the fret and have been pommeling poor Brandon with questions when necessary.

null_zps9df71819.jpg

Bow view.

null_zps692be1d6.jpg

I'm running low on deck hatches, so I used the style I had in most prevalence. These are WEM hatches, I believe. I've also used the GMM set for much of her upper works.

null_zps425b9a14.jpg

I lost detail on the citadel while filling some ugly gaps. I'll scribe its view ports back on before I glue it to the rest of the bridge. Note the gap below the navigation bridge. Also, all hatches have been replaced with GMM equivalents. I hated the molded on options.

Now, here's the kicker: I don't have any earthly idea where the ladders go on the bridge. The line drawings I've come into possession of suggest the four platforms in the rear are intended for egress/ingress. I'm still working out how the ladders are oriented in order to accomplish this without crowding each other out. Also, there's a platform underneath the superstructure that I have yet to install. Trumpy has it on the instructions, but again, my sources seem to have deleted it. I'm still trying to figure out if it was actually present on the ship or not.

Also - Did all the deck guns on her boat deck have covers? I seem to recall someone mentioning they should in a review.

Guest PetrolGator

Thanks, Greg. I haven't done anything with this build for a few days... been focusing on the 1/350 Indianapolis build for IPMS. Additionally, I did not want to proceed until I had located some decent pictures or plans of the Maryland from around 1941. These have been located, thankfully, thanks to Timmy C on the Modelwarships board. I'm HOPING to have most of the superstructure and guns built this weekend... bonus points if I manage to slap a layer of paint on her.

• 2 months later...
Guest PetrolGator
...and back at this. I've been experimenting with the Trumpeter cage masts in an attempt to make sure I don't mess up the BRM photo etch. I've also taken tally of what I have, don't have, and may need.

Issues:

- Forgot that I'm missing one brass barrel for the main guns. I'll either do my best to acquire one or do my best with one plastic barrel.

- Seriously considering getting the Pit Road AA guns. They're insanely nice.

So far, I've added all the brass barrels I have and removed the molded on anchor chain. I picked up some EXTREMELY fine chain from a local shop and will be using it.

I'm probably going to waterline the ship to help minimize the exposure of the overdone torpedo bulge. I'm still on the fence on sanding it down.

IMG_1117_zps80ed8dba.jpg

The mess and surgery tools. :D

IMG_1116_zps5aacfcf4.jpg

Dry fitting. Trumpeter's cage masts are nice, but the BRM examples are a little finer. I think I'm getting how to put these things on. I wanted to wait for Tom's cage masts with the hourglass bend, but I'm just not that patient.

I'll paint the interior of the superstructure a light grey, paint the 5" guns, then install them. I'll glue down the top, fill seams, then proceed with the painting and building. This WHOLE ship is 5-D (minus turret tops) so it'll be a cake base coat!

All for now. I'll be building this and an ICM Type VIIB simultaneously.

Guest PetrolGator

Haha. Yep. The aft cage mast that will eventually make it on to this ship is going to be a pain in the ass. Blue Ridge Models included the three deck (?) levels INSIDE the mast itself, with the needed ladders. I'm using these as practice, unless I totally ruin the nicer set.

New barrel will be coming courtesy of FreeTimeHobbies, because Brandon is the best.

Guest PetrolGator

I've decided to go with a waterlined Maryland with some docking blocks (see Battleship Row) for a diorama.

I'm done some work, but haven't done a whole lot. I was attacked by a dog on Monday and have massive swelling on my forehead that's making it hard to see. I'm as alright as I can, but can't use my visor for the small work I need to with eight stitches in my forehead.

At this point, most of the major construction is done. I'll be filling seams and working on smaller sub assemblies for the range fingers and heavy AA guns this evening. Hopefully, I'll post some pictures if my head clear enough to take them.

Chris,

I'm really upset and sorry about the dog attack. I hope the animal had an owner and that the dog's shots were up to date. I do not wish a rabies shot on anyone. You have our official note from IPMS friends that you are excused from building until further healing takes place. Recover completely, my friend. I thank God you did not suffer an eye injury next to the wounds on your forehead.

Ed

Guest PetrolGator

Guys,

Thank you. I'm okay, thankfully. I'm a little incensed that the neighbors aren't seeing a problem with their dog treating my face like a chew toy, but that's a problem I'll have to deal with in the future. I'm just VERY happy I got out of it with both eyes and ultimately, a cool scar. I'm healing up well, and frankly, have to go to work, wounds and all. I'm currently not furloughed, but even missing work for a dog attack will be met with "temporary termination." Sigh. It may be time to go back to private industry. ANYWAY...

I would never show pictures on here of my beaten up mug... LOL. You'll have to catch me on Facebook for that. ;)

I've put a little work into the Maryland. There's really not a lot of construction here. The BRM Photo Etch is a little too rigid... having issue bending into a shape I'm happy with. Still, the cage masts look a little better than the Trumpeter examples and the internals to the aft mast are awesome. That will be added in a future update.

I chose to use Trumpeter's PE for the boat cranes as its just fantastic.

IMG_1122_zps084b63a7.jpg

IMG_1121_zps1a236d19.jpg

You can see the gaps in the gun deck and roof. I'll be cleaning that up a little tomorrow and probably next week. I'll be out of town with the wife for her birthday... hoping I won't still look like Sloth from the Goonies. :smiley14:

All for now.

Guest PetrolGator
Slow progress. I've been busy lately.

Done:

- More work on masts. There are a number of small platforms in the aft mast that just are a pain to place. I have the topmost installed and will try again to add the other two today. Railing has been added to the searchlight platform.

- Cranes (minus "cable")

- Seam filling. I HATE the horizontal seam above the 5" 51s. I've filled/sanded like mad off and on for a while. I think I'm just going to use some thin styrene to cover it and then sand down.

- Gun Turrets. I'm assembling the steam catapult ON the turret to avoid damaging anything installed. The BRM PE is very stiff, however, and shrugs off most damage easily.

I plan to finish off those damn seams and get the catapult finished today. I'll also start adding PE railing to the bridge. Ideally, the Maryland will be ready for paint by Friday. The ship will be displayed in a harbor scene with the BRM resin harbor blocks.

As a side note, I want to thank Brandon with FreeTimeHobbies for replacing my missing 16" barrel free of charge.

Mary1_zps86607b18.jpg

Mary3_zps0a384732.jpg

Mary2_zps0015e963.jpg

More later.

Guest PetrolGator

Thanks, Jim. I'm growing more attached to them as time passes. Wait until you see my battle cruiser Lexington at Pearl Harbor project in the works with some new, super accurate cage masts. ;)

Small update. I used a combination of BRM and styrene stock to build the turret catapult. The cat walk was too narrow to fit around the main body, so I split it down the middle, attached, and reunified the halves with some plastic.

I've also started work on her AA guns.

null_zps5841016a.jpg

null_zps69344c58.jpg

Guest PetrolGator
Update.

I've finished almost all the construction and put the first coat of 5-D from Lifecolor. I've touched up some stratches and other issues due to handling but have a lot of touch ups to do to bring this up to standard. I just want to say that Lifecolor paints are the EASIEST hand brushing paints I've ever used. I can barely see a distinction between airbrushed paint and hand applied. Once the dull coat goes down, it'll blend easily.

Currently, everything is dry fit with some hand painting left to do (see the AA guns.) I also managed to break some of the cable on the cranes and must re-glue as best I can. I'm unsure if I'm going to hand paint or air brush the white tops, though. I'm leaning toward air brushing for the take of uniformity.

Pictures:

null_zpsdbe853ac.jpg

null_zps1a7a7056.jpg

null_zpsd0405535.jpg

null_zps4dd32615.jpg

null_zps3abe6223.jpg

For those who are curious, I've used a mix of BRM PE, some scratch building, and bits from my stash to enhance the model. I'm especially impressed with the boat cradle from the BRM set. I staged the cradle in modeling clay, then glued the sections together once it was straight... made it a LOT easier to assemble.

Picture:

null_zpscc69853f.jpg

All for now. I'm off tommorrow so I'll have PLENTY of build time this evening and through the day. I'm going to do some work on the base, hopefully having a decent, calm water base done by tonight. I'm seriously considering using pour, clear resin to make the water on this go.

That's just brilliant work. You are really inspiring me with your ship builds. If I can make one tiny insignificant suggestion: take your photos on the level. I find myself laying my head over to look at them with a more natural perspective. No biggie! Keep it up!

Rick L.

Guest PetrolGator

Rick, I feel the same about your Hellcat. Thanks!.

Guys,
Seriously, thank you. I feel like each build I get better. I always appreciate the comments, positive and negative.
Progress: Used a combination of hand and airbrush to place the 5-L on the upperworks. I also gave her the turret top colors that seem correct (and popular) now. It really makes her pop. I've attached her secondary guns and aft turret. Most of the deck kibble is in place. I still need to attack her .50 cals, ladders, railing, and some small bits. I also need to hit some more small spots with the detail brush once I get her on the base. I also plan to blacken some of the windows then gloss them with Future once I dull coat the ship. Overall, I'm REALLY happy with this build.
null_zps47d6b7a7.jpg
I love this view.
null_zps6ac16da2.jpg
You can see some unintentional wear on the armor belt. I'll correct that once she's set. I will admit, though. I sort of like it.
null_zps6ddea83e.jpg
These little blocks are awesome. You can see the wave pattern I'm building up around them in this picture. This stuff WILL dry clear.
null_zps64f844e7.jpg
Black turret tops.
Comments are welcome. The Maryland will be crewed with Eduard figures with some activity on deck.

Guest PetrolGator
Small update. I've added the railing to the bow. You can blatantly see the smaller sections of railing due to uneven connections. I'm going to start mating those tomorrow followed by a quick repainting. I... hesitate to show this step, but perhaps its ugliness will indicate that I still need work as a two year modeler and help others to have the courage to post. :)

null_zps0ee56b00.jpg

null_zps98325bfa.jpg

Those runners on the main mast suck. I HATE how fragile they are. I was going to Mobile for their ModelFest show, but I think I'll hold off spend a little more time polishing up this girl.

I'm going to add some 800 scale Eduard figures which, IMO are better in scale with the 700 ships.

Opinions are welcome. Criticism is VERY appreciated.

Guest PetrolGator

No pictures, but I have finished attaching all her railing. Now, I simply need to check that all the rungs are continuous, ensure that no brass is visible, and that all splotches, spots, or other imperfections are taken care of.

It's not simple in 1/700. :unsure:

I'm also replacing the PE runnners on the main mast with some thicker brass wire that's less likely to be so damn fragile. There's no way I can attack any rigging to these things as is.

Guest PetrolGator
I've been working on the seascape. I played around with some colors and built a small sandbar forward of the ship just, well, because. All the white stuff around the blocks is some additional Liquitex gel. I'm forming some subtle waves around them, as best I can.

I've been painting the Maryland, attempting to rid myself of any annoying imperfections. Once I'm happy and all parts are installed, I'll Future the hull, do some minor weathering, then glue it down.

Remaining work will consist of detailing the harbor blocks (paint). I'll also be adding some Eduard figures to the ship.. debating putting a launch or two in the water.

Here's some pictures:

null_zps256e000f.jpg

null_zps0b0fec18.jpg

null_zps3c5a3675.jpg

Opinions are always welcome.

I can't suggest anything, really, because it's a very very nice build. Only possibility doesn't even involve the ship. Wouldn't the harbor block have "fenders"? Wouldn't want the ship to ram up against that concrete without some buffer. Maybe not, but it's all I could come up with.

I had to look back to make sure you did not use a wood deck. The kit deck looks really good. I assume it's paint and a wash?

I've been following this alot and I'm quite stunned at the incredible detail you've done on this ship. I really like what I see.

One thing I noticed that you may want to check out: The braces under the main mast top cabin (for want of a better description) look to be sticking out and/or unconnected in the angle on the first pic. Maybe a slight sanding to make them more flush with the side of that cabin will make that connection look more natural.

Oh, and I second someone else's suggestion on taking more level pics of your models. My neck is starting to hurt with all the intense study I do to your pics.

Keep up the awesome work, this ship is truly a masterpiece! I'm learning so much watching you build all these.

Guest PetrolGator

Mark,

THANK YOU for noticing that. Those parts are styrene and should sand down easily. I'm currently painting her individual windows with a glossy midnight blue and beginning the rigging process.

I tried keeping the most recent pictures level. I hope that helps.

This build is teaching ME a lot. I stopped caring about shows and timelines and just started having fun again Consequently, I've been experimenting more with this ship than others in the past.

I just picked up a resin kit by Blue Ridge Models of the USS Oklahoma. The kit is awesome but will be a bit of a challenge. I grew up in Oklahoma City and have a few personal connections to that old battlewagon. I figure I'll build her in conjunction with my Graf Zeppelin.