Shannon, Active duty mil stationed in D.C. area

majshanman

Hello everyone, I'm Shannon and just joined with a family membership with my wife and two youngest sons (Connor and Ronan, 8 and 5 respectively; my oldest is away in college, he's 20). My wife and I are both active duty military officers. She is a Veterinarian and I am a Strategist (basic branch Civil Affairs, formerly Engineers). Last weekend we attended our first show in Richmond. The boys each built a model and entered it into the Juniors category. Connor built a 1:48 B-29 and Ronan a 1:110 SR-71 (which placed 2nd!). They had such a great time at the show that they want to go to another right away:) We left the show with a trunk full of kits, by the way. We will have no shortage for some time. As a treat for the boys, when we returned from the show I signed us all up as members of IPMS.

As a kid, I used to build quite a lot of models to include some balsa. Mostly aircraft. One of my favorites was a north sea oil platform I built when about twelve. I'm not sure - after seeing how amazing the builds looked at the Richmond show - that I will EVER be able to compete so I'll likely just stick to enjoying building with the boys and helping them with their entries (I don't cut, paint, or join parts, I only help find parts, give them poor advice, and keep them on track in the instructions. Oh, and make all of the purchases). I will be searching the forums in the next few weeks trying to figure out which glue is best, some simple detailing tricks for the boys, and maybe the ins and outs of airbrush sets. My 8 year old used the basic Testors airbrush set with his B-29 and didn't do too bad to the amateur eye (mine!). Both boys surprised me with their attention to detail and interest in building the kits. They are seriously chomping at the bit for their next kit build.

Anyways, I am looking forward to spending more time on the forums, learning more about techniques, and helping the boys progress with their new-found hobby!

Welcome Shannon! Isn't it fun and inspiring to see all of the great work at a show? But, don't be intimidated! IPMS is about having FUN building models YOUR way. Try to improve to the "show" level IF that's what drives you. Or, simply build to suit your shelf at home. We'll be here to help you along the way which ever path you and your kids choose!

GIL

Shannon,

First Welcome aboard!!!! Second I would like to echo what Gil said. IPMS is NOT about building for a contest. It is about the FUN and enjoyment that all of us here get out of this hobby. I can see that you personally get most of your joy from helping and watching your two children build models. Don't give up on yourself. ALL of us started somewhere and to be honest most of us really stunk as model builders to start out. This is why most of our early builds met the firecracker fate or somehow found themself crashed into something. Stick with it,there is sooooooooooooo much talent here and everybody is more then willing to share that with you. Just ask!!! :m1helmet: :smiley14:

Chris Graeter

Welcome Shannon to these boards and to IPMS Nationals. In addition, I thank you and your wife for your service. That is so great that you and your boys are sop into this.

As for building models; yes, definitely do it for fun. I'd also say that; even though you feel you could never build well enough to compete; feel free to take your models into a contest anyway. You don't even have to enter; most contests have display tables. It is one way to quickly gain even more tips and suggestions along with whatever you get here. Personally, I don't see myself as even being in the same league as these masters here, but I still take my stuff to contests since that is the best way to learn. If I actually do place, well that is just icing on the cake.

Bottom line Shannon, have fun with your models and savor all the building time you share with your sons. That time with them is the most precious and well worth spending.