Lost In Space Chariot Diorama

papasmurf

Here's a few shots of the latest project completed for a client at the Kit Factory, a 1/24th Moebius Chariot from "Lost in Space", on a Alien Terrain diorama base, in a presentation case. A randomized "Bio-Luminescent" blue lighting pulse effect, under the "ice field", which is approx. 1/8 inch of clear resin, with airbrushed texture. Metal foil detailing on Chariot, fully illuminated B9 Robot figure, detailed Robinson family, and Maj. West figures in matching scale, illuminated dashboard, headlights, control panels, scanner.

Tough kit to build and paint, 70% clear, and a lot of careful masking and airbrush work required, not really recommended for the novice builder. Tough color scheme too, mostly international orange and metallic colors.

Glad to see the SF section is still running well, no one seems to have stepped up to claim the moderator position, since I asked for someone to do so. Since I'm still listed as mod, I am willing to keep the title if no one else wants to, but I don't have the time luxury of running things like the Movie game anymore.

I didn't want to back out of this site, but the workload I have in the Studio presently, went from "lots", to, "frakkin' incredible", and I am a tad overwhelmed. My apologies if any feathers were ruffled. If anyone objects to my resuming as mod, just say so, I'll back off.

I can only look in on occasion, but this is a civilized group, little moderation is actually required.

Anyways, here's images of the Chariot diorama, based on the episode entitled "The Hungry Sea". Several film clips of lighting effects posted at the Kit Factory website.

If any issue requires my attention, please PM me, thanks.

chariot_259_-523x389.jpg

chariot_266_-519x394.jpg

chariot_271_-438x323.jpg

chariot_257_-430x323.jpg

chariot_261_-438x325.jpg

chariot_252_-430x325.jpg

chariot_254_-437x325.jpg

chariot_249_-429x325.jpg

That is awesome! I really like the lighting effects. You have my dream job, building models for living. I've settled for building sewers. Thanks for sharing your project.

Simon,

Yes, it's a classic TV show, but I was in college at the time and did not have the time to spare getting into this Irwin Allen series. That said, your rendition of one of the show's icon vehicles is outstanding. I'm particularly interested in the lighting you used for the headlights. Are those incandescent bulbs or bright LED's? I'm trying to finish the 2001 space pod and need four headlights and a way to lightshield the surrounding resin body of the pod.

Ed

Thanks Ed, those are 5mm white LEDS, behind the kits own Headlight clear parts. The entire build was powered by a 9 volt, plug-in power supply. As a lighting block/shield, I usually go with a primer, a layer of flat black, and a layer of silver, followed by the primary color. Go thin on those airbrush paint layers, or parts will become hard to place.

Yep, a heck of a lot of masking involved. Just noticed that someone came up with a masking set for this kit, on the Starship Modeler's Store site, the other day, might want to check that out if I ever build another.

It was the 60's, gentler times, nowadays, it would be more like the execution scene, in last weeks Battlestar Galactica! :smiley15: