Worf in wargame scale

philp

Worf is the second wargame figure that I have done and still trying to get the ideas down on how to paint these things.

He came with the Last Unicorns Games figure set Federation Away Team Miniatures from STTNG (Star Trek The Next Generation for those few of you not in the know) and is 33mm high (30mm at the eye level). There are 6 other figures in the box, 4 ladies and 2 guys from different races. I actually tried to sell the box set several times with no takers but Worf just kept staring at me with that "Do it for the Honor" look and I finally buckled and said what the hey.

The box cover shows Worf in the gold shirt he commonly wore on TNG but the molding looked more like something from Deep Space 9 or the movies so that is how I painted him. He came out OK but I still think he needs a different base (any suggestions).

P9220010.JPG

P9220012.JPG

P9220013.JPG

He did win a Bronze at yesterdays SLC - XII but then again, there were only 3 entries in the class.

It's hard to see any details so it's hard to provide painting suggestions.

As to the base/ground work, use Celluclay or other type of material to bring the figre base to the edge of the main base. Add some railroad ballast to give the Celluclay some texture and imnbed some pea stones and paint them. Use some static grass or Silfor grass tufts and if you can find some bayardi small dead tree stumps, you'll have a better presentation. I know by IPMS rules, presentation doesn't count (It should in figures IMHO) but you'll have a better looking item to display.

Try for more highlights and shadows by using a base that's lighter than you want to show then using a darker version for the shadows and lighter for the highlights. Try not to use black or white for a darkening and lightening colors. Instead, find complimentary colors. Highlights for black can be tan (warm) or blue (cool).

Edited by ajlafleche

How about having Worf stand on a section of the holodeck grid?

The lighting on your photos is a bit dark for my screen images, so I can't see too much more than the shape of the sculpted figure against the lighter background. Sorry that I can't offer more specific comments.

Ed

• 5 months later...

Ok, did a new base for him and he took a 1st at Commiesfest.

P2160137.JPG

P2240001.JPG