Nitto M-36 to an Achillies

Ron Bell

A while back, I wanted an Achillies in my collection of small scale vehicles. Well, there were none. So, I got a Cromwell models 1/76 resin one. Only problem was it was terrible. So, off I went on a search for the appropriate parts. The old Nitto M-36 had the most common parts, so it was my starting place. First off, there is no hull MG, so it had to be removed and the hole filled in. The racks on the sides were way too thick, so they were thinned. Lots of other "blobby" detail was replaced as well. The engine deck got some detailing but the worst part was the turret. That was done from scratch using the Cromwell one as a guide. The Cromwell counterweights were cut off and used as was the breach for the gun. The rest was done from scratch. So, here it is, an M-10 Achillies in 1/76. By the way, there is a serious debate about whether the Brits ever called them Achillies during the war. Even they don't agree.

DSCN1860.jpg

DSCN1862.jpg

DSCN1861.jpg

DSCN1865.jpg

Ron, it looks great, those old Nitto 1/76 scale kits can be a bear to build.

There is a 1/72 scale Achilles out there. It is an Eduard/ExtraTech kit that came out with their series of M4/M10/M36 kits. I've bought most of the kits from this line and thought they were pretty decent.

http://www.172shermans.com/kitreviews/Extratech/Achillesprev.htm