Mig-17 (fresco A & C) Research Help

David M. Knights

Guys,

I need some help. I love the MiG-17. I build in 72nd scale. If any of you have built the DML MiG-17 or J-5 kit you know that the nose is not correct. The top of it has a lump on it that bears no resemblance to reality.

In doing research to correct the kit I came across something that I can’t explain and that none of my reference mentions. I am posting here in hopes that someone has an answer.

I have used the following books as reference for the following.

OKB MiG by Butowski and Miller

Aerofax MiG-17 by Gordon

The MiG-17 Fresco in Detail and Scale by Slatton

Squadron/Signal MiG-17 in Action

Squadron/Signal MiG-17 Walkaround

Kagero MiG-17/Lim-5

All of the reference drawings in all of these books depict the curve on the top of the nose from the intake to the windscreen as a single radius curve. This is true no matter what version they are depicting.

[/size]

17draw1.jpg

This is true whether or not the SRD-1M radar rangefinder is present.

17draw2.jpg

However, from photographs and personal inspection of two separate MiG-17s, I have found two different distinct nose profiles. One is the constant curve depicted in the drawings and illustrated in the photo below.

17nose3.jpg

This is a Chinese J-5

17nose4.jpg

This is a Mig-17 Fresco-A

But there is another nose profile. It rises higher than the ones above and then flattens out prior to the end of the nose panel in front of the windscreen

17nose1.jpg

This is a MiG-17 Fresco-C at Nellis AFB

17nose2.jpg

This is a Czech MiG-17 Fresco-C

The bump is present on some aircraft whether or not the SRD-1M antenna is present. It can be seen on some MiG-17 Fresco-A & Cs, some Lim-5/6 and some Chinese J-5. It is not present on any MiG-17 Fresco-D that I have seen. The nose profile on the aircraft with the alternate nose is also different when viewed from head on, but I don’t think that makes any difference for the purposes of this discussion.

This isn't an optical illusion. I've personally touched two MiG-17s with the alternate profile. Now can anyone tell me, for sure, anything about this alternate nose profile? Is it peculiar to a particular variant? Why do none of the mainstream western publications on the MiG-17 even mention it, much less illustrate it? I’d appreciate any accurate information on this issue. Thanks.

I picked up the new "Mig-17 Walkaround" book in the LHS today and thumbed through it specifically looking at the nose profiles and associated captions in the book. I too could see what you point out above. The only reference made to anything different was the radar(?) which required the blade antenna on the top of the nose. Most of those planes seem to have the -"lim" designator, for whatever that's worth. I didn't see any direct reference in the pics, but I didn't read any of the text either.

My best guess is that this was a limited modification, perhaps by some of the Soviet Block AF's9 most of the pics show Bulgarian, Polish Czech birds, etc.), and not by the "factory"; requiring slightly reshaped sheet metal on top. If this was a "field mod" that was never really sanctioned by the MiG folks then it might have never made any of the "official" drawings, which would lead to it being missed in most official references. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Best of luck!

GIL :smiley16:

I picked up the new "Mig-17 Walkaround" book in the LHS today and thumbed through it specifically looking at the nose profiles and associated captions in the book. I too could see what you point out above. The only reference made to anything different was the radar(?) which required the blade antenna on the top of the nose. Most of those planes seem to have the -"lim" designator, for whatever that's worth. I didn't see any direct reference in the pics, but I didn't read any of the text either.

My best guess is that this was a limited modification, perhaps by some of the Soviet Block AF's9 most of the pics show Bulgarian, Polish Czech birds, etc.), and not by the "factory"; requiring slightly reshaped sheet metal on top. If this was a "field mod" that was never really sanctioned by the MiG folks then it might have never made any of the "official" drawings, which would lead to it being missed in most official references. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! Best of luck!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks for the input. I've found the alternate profile on MiG-17F Fresco-Cs, Polish Lim-5s and Chinese J-5s. I initially thought that the alternate nose profile was also present on the MiG-17 Frecso-As as well, but now I am not so sure. The alternate profile is present whether or not the antenna for the SRD-1M radar rangefinder is present.

Right now I am leaning to the explanation that the alternate profile was done for the SRD-1M and is present whether or not the SRD-1M was installed. However, that is just a working theory and is subject to revision as further facts reveal themselves.