Calling F-111 experts

adfogel

Long story short my wife works part-time at our local Salvation Army and picked me up the old Academy/Minicraft 1/48 F-111C (kit #1674). The seats were painted and glued in place, the nose gear and bay glued together (badly) and the tanks glued together but otherwise it's complete and unpainted...no complaints for $1.50! 1.png

This is the version that was produced for the Royal Australian Air Force. My understanding is that the wings on the C model were the long wings. I was wondering if anyone out there knew if this kit does indeed have the correct long wings? My vague recollection of this series of kits is that Academy did in fact did separate moldings for each version they produced. Because the C was still analog I think that the Verlinden cockpit will work for it and I may see if I can trade for one or find it cheap. Also going to need some markings as the kit decals are so-so.

Thanks for any help you can offer! :smiley20:

Later,

Lee

To the best of my knowledge, the kits that required a long wing got a long wing. As far as the cockpit goes, if you can find one for the A-model Vark, you'll be okay--basically, the C-model was an A-model with the long wing.

If you can find it, get the revised Detail and Scale on the F-111--there is some good advice on the Minicraft kits in the Modeler's Section.

Ralph

Thanks for the info, Ralph! I ran across a nice review on Cybermodeler from '07 that was on the E model but it had a nice little box that went over the specifics of each model.

Later,

Lee

Wings: I think they are correct in length... why I think that. I am not sure.

Pylons: iouter pylons 2 & 7 are shown as being able to pivot – they don't

Nose: I recall something about the fuselage strake needing some work.... Google this, it may help.

Good luck with the Pig!

AC